• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leeoniya

merging doom wads?

Guest Leeoniya

i need to merge/replace 2 doom wads
1 is the pwad distributed by TNT for map 31 yellow key fix in the TNT:Evilution iwad

and the other is the actual huge TNT iwad

i would like to merge the 2 wads so that the map31 pwad replaces the old map31 pwad inside the iwad......because i dont want to restart my whole Doom Legacy to be able to play just that map.

is there any util out there which will do this?

i know that Dragon Unpacker can read the iwad, in directory tree style, with each map having its own folder, and can extract anything from the wad, but it cant delete or rename/replace/merge anything into it

looking for util which can do this.....any way to do it in Wintex or Wadcat?

thx a lot

InstantMessenger: Leeoniya
email: leeoniya@dataageinc.com

I'm pretty sure you just save the patch level to the main wad. This will replace level 31 with the fixed version and keep all the other levels the same. Just make sure you hve a backup copy if I am wrong...

Guest Leeoniya

well, what most text files with mergers say is that it will merge the wad as a new level in the wad. i dont think it replaces the old on, i'll try it though.

Guest Fanatic

Wintex, DEUSF, or DEUTEX will do that just fine.

In Wintex, select the small fix WAD in the "PWAD to join" window, and the main WAD you want to merge it into in the "PWAD to examine or modify", then click the "Join PWADs" button.

With DEUSF or DEUTEX, break to DOS in the directory with the WADs, and use this:

deutex -merge [your small fix WAD].wad

That will merge it into your IWAD. Wintex would be the easiest way tho.

Guest Fanatic
Leeoniya said:

well, what most text files with mergers say is that it will merge the wad as a new level in the wad. i dont think it replaces the old on, i'll try it though.

The utilities will merge it as a replacement to the original. It won't insert it as a new level, because you can't have two of the same lump name in a WAD or else it will crash the game engine or cause very weird things to happen.

you can't have two of the same lump name in a WAD or else it will crash the game engine or cause very weird things to happen.
===================================================

Usually won't crash - but not a good idea either. Id made this mistake in the DOOM and DOOM2 IWADS.

There are quite a few PWADs with "duplicate" lump names. The last one I looked at was the Ghost Busters one. They had Graphic and Flat lumps with the same name - that was a good one. So I put an automatic duplicate check in DeePsea, since the Ghost one does cause problems trying to edit the PWAD graphics.

I originally never thought about merging "IWAD"s (vs PWAD), but the next release will let one select the type of PWAD header in DeePsea's Import. So then just select the IWAD as the target, select the PWAD(s) to add/merge and at the same time it will get rid of all duplicates:)

Guest Leeoniya

i got them merged with wintex, it did the replace i just named the pwad MAP31.WAD....and whala!

thanx everyone

i got Doom Legacy + Legacy Launcher version 3.0, and it has the problem of displaying wrong level names for the maps in Final Doom iWADS

there are DEH patches for an earlier version of legacy which also had this problem. i got those patches and i was wondering how i would go about applying them with DeHacked.....wuld it still work on a later legacy version

thx.

Guest Fanatic

If you use Dehacked, you will have to use the original DOOM/DOOM2 executable, no usable with new source ports.

Most ports can load Dehacked patches by using either -deh [deh_name].deh, or with BOOM just the -file tag (I think you can even load it without the extension, like boom -file deh_file).

Guest Leeoniya

yea, but legacy is its own port, so i was wondering if patches for old version will work for new one

legacy isnt just a launcher, its a windows launcher with an actual exe file that is instead of doom.exe or doom2.exe

Guest Fanatic

Shouldn't matter.