Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

DAMN textures

Guest Epistax

Very simple newb question- why wont my textures line up?
Using WA 1.3. First off the internal texture aligner seems to only care about x values and never adjusts y. I keep trying all these different combos of X's, Y's and unpeggeds and only every once in a while does one part of the wall look right (above or below the 'window'.

Is there any scientific method to this? Help!

Yes. But I didn't learn it until around my 6th wad ;)

Say you have a horizontal single sided linedef facing north 64 units long, then a vertical one connected to it and facing east 32 units long. You would give the 32 unit long linedef an X value of 64. then any linedefs after the 32 unit long one would be: 64 + 32 = 96 and so on.

Ok, I'm not good at explaining things... Quake textures are sooo much easier ;)

Guest Epistax

Well WA is handling the X for me. It seems that if a platform L tall is given a Y offset of L, that's just sloppy. And what about above vs below?

"DAMN textures" is an understatement.... I've just been through this myself :)
This is how Doom applies it's grafics on windows and ledges.
Above texture: The grafic is applied from the bottom of the texture and then upwards.
Below texture: The grafic is applied from the top of the texture and then downwards.
Unpegging reverses the direction in which the grafic is applied.
So unpeg the upper and the lower for a window to make it look right.
Once you get the hang of what i mean those frikkin green blocks will finally look right above and below a window.
As for allining Y offset on walls of different cieling hieght (or to line up the green bricks inside the window edge to the green brick of the surrounding wall) it's the difference between the cieling heights of the two sectors that will make Y a + or -.
Hope this helps you and welcome to the fun (heh...) world of texture alignment.

Check the upper unpegged flag and the lower unpegged flag on the tops and bottoms of the window.

With me so far?

Set the y offset exactly the same as the walls on either side of the window. (In most cases this will be zero).

Use Wadauthor's built in x align feature jobby to clean up the horizontal alignments and you are done son :)

Guest fragg

Stve, thats cool answer, I didn't know that.
I saved in my ringbinder. Thanks.
fragg

Vorpal said:

Yes. But I didn't learn it until around my 6th wad ;)

Say you have a horizontal single sided linedef facing north 64 units long, then a vertical one connected to it and facing east 32 units long. You would give the 32 unit long linedef an X value of 64. then any linedefs after the 32 unit long one would be: 64 + 32 = 96 and so on.

Ok, I'm not good at explaining things... Quake textures are sooo much easier ;)

"Yes. But I didn't learn it until around my 6th wad ;)"

Heh, you are a quick learner compared to me. Took me much longer than that. when I eventually found out, I exitedly phoned a mate and he said, "oh, didn't you know that".

I found it interesting that the current level in the "oldstuff" has a lot of windows and similar with a correctly aligned upper texture, but using a different texture below the window (presumably to hide the fact they are not aligned correctly). I bet that author didn't know how to use the pegging flags either when he made that level.

Guest crawlie
Enjay said:

Heh, you are a quick learner compared to me. Took me much longer than that. when I eventually found out, I exitedly phoned a mate and he said, "oh, didn't you know that".

I did learn texture aligning myself right in my first map (that's d208.wad), but I well noticed how damn irritating texture aligning, especially in y offsets, can be.. that's why I used lots of STONE3, BROWN96 and others that align very easily... but I still quite hate texture aligning -- I wish yadex could do better with automatic y offset aligning.. :P

well, still, d208 was considerably ugly on some places, but my next one won't hopefully be that much. It's gonna be a double-level WAD, first map in kind of a Episode one-like setting and the second will keep getting more and more 'hellish'... well, knowing my speed it won't be released before next summer, for those of you waiting ;D (bwahaha)