Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Making things cool

Guest Epistax

Does anyone know how to just plain make a wad cooler?
I have problems with large boring walls, empty spaces, etc and they need filling!
I know you can make pictures out of sky textures, but those are too big. I wish zdoom would let me light dynamically, but that's simply not an option... all I can do is change fades and colors and brights of sectors down annoyingly straight lines.

I think I could make one realistic light. It would take maybe twenty sectors and a thousand verticies.

Detail, detail, detail....
You would be surprised how simple little things will add so much depth to your wad. Add a couple of collums to your wall. Maybe a ledge? How about a small alcove with one of those eye symbol thingy's in it?
Look at other peoples wads to see what they did and find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Would you care to send the map to me? Sometimes I can do good with those types of things.

Zigmund said:

You would be surprised how simple little things will add so much depth to your wad. Add a couple of collums to your wall. Maybe a ledge? How about a small alcove with one of those eye symbol thingy's in it?
Look at other peoples wads to see what they did and find out what works for you and what doesn't.

More ideas:
-Windows
-Overhead Beams
-Technical tricls ie. bridges

Guest Epistax
Lüt said:

Would you care to send the map to me? Sometimes I can do good with those types of things.

Sorry but it's my first DM in progress. I'm trying a town like environment. this is the extent of my message because windows is screwing up major.

Zigmund said:

Those are great ideas, all of them, I know they will help me in my levels. Also some other ideas are try to use angled walls if possible, as square ones can get boring, and use height differences to your advantage. I think somebody should make a tutorial covering making a wad look good, that would be great for all aspiring wad designers and veterans alike.