Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

A functional mod that's only 30K. =)

Hey guys, while messing with making a Railgun I came across an interesting bug. Instead of just outright fixing it I tested something... and ended up with this:

http://www.deadnail.f2s.com/files/dndbr.cab

It's a double barrelled railgun mod for zDoom. It replaces the BFG9000 and it should be 100% compatible with any map containing a BFG. It's fun as hell and best of all it's really tiny. The BFG is stronger so it may not be the best thing to include in an SP project but it'll go great with any DM project.

If anyone wants to include it in anything for any purpose go right the hell ahead. I'd be happy if you guys took a look at it to tell me what you think of it... maybe even try it out in a botmatch or something.

Heh, that is pretty sweet.

I knew there were different railgun code pointers and had toyed with trying to make the simultaneous, but didn't do it. Did you try making a triple barreled one too?

I like the inclusion of the Duke weapon too. Finishes it off nicely and looks right.

Guest Epistax

That is really cool, but if you look on the zdoom page I bet you'll find you are just using the code pointers for the left and the right hand fire really close together.

What would be cooler, is if you could get it so if you held the button down, it alternated between the two sides, so it fired a single rail blast, but at half the interval.
Firing two rail blasts at the same time is pretty useless in DM unless there is a mod of players sitting aroun waiting to be shot at with a double barrel rail gun.

It's still a hell of a lot more useful than a railgun (which isn't saying much, but still.)

2500TH POST!

Epistax said:

That is really cool, but if you look on the zdoom page I bet you'll find you are just using the code pointers for the left and the right hand fire really close together.

What would be cooler, is if you could get it so if you held the button down, it alternated between the two sides, so it fired a single rail blast, but at half the interval.
Firing two rail blasts at the same time is pretty useless in DM unless there is a mod of players sitting aroun waiting to be shot at with a double barrel rail gun.

Yep, that's how I did it. It really is simple (30K, remember?) but it works well. Making it fire bam bam bam wouldn't be that handy for deathmatch, what mine basically does is make it 3x wider... anything between the rails gets waxed too.

Basically it's just a railgun aiming mod, and it teaches the valuable lesson of NOT holding down the shoot button with the railgun... take aim before you fire.

Damit, why the hell didn't I think of that?

I remember something like that from a RIFTS RPG one time.
"...Yeah, uh, I want a railgun and I want it custom made to look like a shotgun... yeah, double barreled, and i want it clip-fed too".

it was hilarious, before long we had c4 explosives looking like yummy pizzas (dont eat it! even tasted like a pizza) and hair-pins actually fired mega-damage lasers.

Well, this kinda stuff does make for great subterfuge weapons (looks like an umbrella, but it's actually a grenade launcher).

Guest Epistax
deadnail said:

Yep, that's how I did it. It really is simple (30K, remember?) but it works well. Making it fire bam bam bam wouldn't be that handy for deathmatch, what mine basically does is make it 3x wider... anything between the rails gets waxed too.

Basically it's just a railgun aiming mod, and it teaches the valuable lesson of NOT holding down the shoot button with the railgun... take aim before you fire.

If you want to make it easier to hit, just turn up the autoaim (ie wimp setting) a few notches. I've seen it autofire to something not even on my view screen. Don't think auto aiming works with rail though. Never tried. Anyway I know rapid fire would be better for me. And in response to that other guy, it would be easy to make it fire triple shot.. but I'm not sure if
A) there would be a point, or b) you'd be able to detect if the person had at least 30 cells.

Enjay said:

Heh, that is pretty sweet.

I knew there were different railgun code pointers and had toyed with trying to make the simultaneous, but didn't do it. Did you try making a triple barreled one too?

I like the inclusion of the Duke weapon too. Finishes it off nicely and looks right.

This may sound stupid but what exactly is a railgun? For a while I thought it was like a better chaingun...

Epistax said:

If you want to make it easier to hit, just turn up the autoaim (ie wimp setting) a few notches. I've seen it autofire to something not even on my view screen. Don't think auto aiming works with rail though. Never tried. Anyway I know rapid fire would be better for me. And in response to that other guy, it would be easy to make it fire triple shot.. but I'm not sure if
A) there would be a point, or b) you'd be able to detect if the person had at least 30 cells.

A) Little point, true, other than it might look good, or not. :-)

B) Yeah, no problem, you set the BFG cells per shot to 30 in dehacked. The normal value is 40, the mod above already sets it to 20.

Guest Epistax
Lazer said:

This may sound stupid but what exactly is a railgun? For a while I thought it was like a better chaingun...

In the FPS world, a railgun is a light gauss weapon. That means it uses electromagnetic fields to push the ammo.. or in this case... a rail tie.

In real life a rail gun is basically a very large staple gun.

Neither is smart to stand infront of.

Lazer said:

It's ok, it's not stupid to not know what a railgun is. I bet 90% of the people in my town dont know what a railgun is (and about 20% of that prolly wouldn't pickup that its some kind of gun).

A railgun is a rifle-like weapon that fires specially designed, nearly perfectly balanced magnetic bolts or slugs without using gunpowder or any other chemical explosives. It does this by exponentially increasing the electrical current in a series of powerful electromagnetic coils. This drives the slug to insane speeds upwards of 5x as fast as a conventional rifle bullet (and significant increases in technology could boost this higher).

This weapon is theoretical, and does not really exist par-se in the real world (although you can make a really low powered one hurl a steel marble at about 5mph).

Basicially it's a souped up version of a sniper rifle, and I can see where you got the idea it was a chaingun (from starcraft I think, that was a neat one too). I have been trying to impress the idea that a railgun/full-auto weapon would be ideally better for multiplayer gameplay than a single-shot railgun because it helps to level the playng field a bit more. It works well as a sniper weapon because when you shoot someone - provided you arent aiming for an appendage, it will kill them instantly (esp if upper torso is hit - it will take the head off too). It would be like being hit by a 30mm cannon.

I would be ok with having a chaingun that does 24 damage instead of 8, instead of some weapon that it seems everyone wants to dive for (making all others mundane). Quake2 pretty much introduced us to the railgun, and this weapon IMO completly FUCKED deathmatch gameplay (everyone seems to go for it, ppl dont even consider using a machinegun or grenade launcher that much).

I think the word gauss comes from Karl Frederick Gauss who was some kind of mathematical guy from whay back when in the romantic era (1500's+). I think "Gauss" means for all intensive terms: magnetic.

The first place I ever saw "Gauss" pretaining to anything with games was in "XCom2: Terror From the Deep", and the one that exited in that game was some sort of particle blaster. BTW: I love that game, and the gauss weapons in it look really cool (but the sonic weapons are badass too, dont care much for all the harpoon shit tho).

Epistax said:

In the FPS world, a railgun is a light gauss weapon. That means it uses electromagnetic fields to push the ammo.. or in this case... a rail tie.

In real life a rail gun is basically a very large staple gun.

Neither is smart to stand infront of.

Gauss... they have a gauss cannon in Descent and it shoots really fast bullets like a chaingun. I'll try the mod...