Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pabloD

Final Map effect

Recommended Posts

I'm working on a the last map for the first episode of No Hope For Life. I been trying to do that effect, in where you kill the baron of hell and then a door opens or the wall goes down.
Does anyone know's how to do this?

Share this post


Link to post

I can't remember who posted the answer to this before but i give them full credit :)

Those effects happen at these levels in Doom and Doom 2:
Doom E1M8- Phobos Anomaly:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when baron(s) are defeated;

Doom E4M8- Unto The Cruel:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when spider mastermind(s) are defeated;

Doom 2 Map07- Dead Simple:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when mancubus's are defeated;
(Tag 667:) raises tagged sectors(s) until 16 pts away from nearest sector height when arachnotron(s) are defeated;

Share this post


Link to post

Or you could just use Zdoom and give whatever levels you want those tags.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks both of you, that really helps. I won't use zdoom because is just for the plain doom, and I can't because I don't really know anyhting about scripting stuff...

Share this post


Link to post

Its not really scripting actually. You just type in some simple thing like this into a lump named MAPINFO in the wad:

map map01 entryway map07special

and you have the map07 special tag in map 1 where mancubus' and arachnotrons cause the effects (you know how it works)

Share this post


Link to post

That could help, but the map is for Ultimate Doom...but i'll write it down. thanks anyway.

pablod.8m.com

Share this post


Link to post
Zigmund said:

I can't remember who posted the answer to this before but i give them full credit :)

Those effects happen at these levels in Doom and Doom 2:
Doom E1M8- Phobos Anomaly:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when baron(s) are defeated;

Doom E4M8- Unto The Cruel:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when spider mastermind(s) are defeated;

Doom 2 Map07- Dead Simple:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when mancubus's are defeated;
(Tag 667:) raises tagged sectors(s) until 16 pts away from nearest sector height when arachnotron(s) are defeated;

I am pretty sure (without checking) the 667 tagged sector in MAP07 doesn't "raise until 16 pts away from nearest sector height". Well it does, in that case, but that is not the actual function. IIRC, it raises by the height of the shortest lower texture on the lines surrounding the sector. Well, its something to do with lower texture height anyway. It just so happens that an appropriate lower texture is used in MAP07 to make it raise to 16 under the next sector. Try putting much taller textures on the lower sidedefs to get a modified effect.

BTW, I think the baron special (as seen on E1M8) does only work with Barons of hell these days, but I remember some time ago playing with that map and putting either a Cybie or Spidermastermind on that map. When the barons died, the 666 sector stayed put, and lowered when the bigger boss died instead. I think this was with Doom version 1.2.

As an additional point of information, just in case you didn't know this (I suspect you do though), something that may be useful. The Romero head boss brain thing has a death sequence with a code pointer in it that causes the level to end. You can make anything have that code pointer using Dehacked so killiing it will end the level.

Also, you can put a boss brain on your level (the boss brain isnt the thing that shoots the demon cubes, so that won't be a problem)and then set up your level so that what you do at the end kills the boss. It could be activating a crusher to kill it, or teleporting into it to telefrag it or a number of other cunning tricks. You will hear the boss death scream, and then your level ends. Well, it might be of use anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
pablod said:

That could help, but the map is for Ultimate Doom...but i'll write it down. thanks anyway.

pablod.8m.com

Well then, all you have to do is type in:

map e?m? (name) (then the effect)

Go to http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/mapinfo.html for a better example.

Share this post


Link to post

What about doors? can they open when a bad guy dies or that will requier something like zdoom or boom? or just fake a door and make it go down like the wads in e1m8...

all this info is too good, i'm gonna have to buy a notebook for stuff like this...

one last question:

This has nothing do to with the e1m8 effect, since i'm here i though i wrote it down...

I tried to make a demo, and it only warp's me to the frist map of each episode. does anydody know's what to do so you can go to a specific map? I tipe 1EM4, and it doesn't work..then i tried w/ 1e4m but again...does ultimate doom work w/ this, right? or is that doom just doesn't like me?

Share this post


Link to post
Zigmund said:

I can't remember who posted the answer to this before but i give them full credit :)

Those effects happen at these levels in Doom and Doom 2:
Doom E1M8- Phobos Anomaly:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when baron(s) are defeated;

Doom E4M8- Unto The Cruel:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when spider mastermind(s) are defeated;

Doom 2 Map07- Dead Simple:
(Tag 666:) lowers tagged sector(s) when mancubus's are defeated;
(Tag 667:) raises tagged sectors(s) until 16 pts away from nearest sector height when arachnotron(s) are defeated;

I think you're talking about me. :)
Post: "Special Triggers List (tags 666, 667...)"

Share this post


Link to post
pablod said:

What about doors? can they open when a bad guy dies or that will requier something like zdoom or boom? or just fake a door and make it go down like the wads in e1m8...

all this info is too good, i'm gonna have to buy a notebook for stuff like this...

one last question:

This has nothing do to with the e1m8 effect, since i'm here i though i wrote it down...

I tried to make a demo, and it only warp's me to the frist map of each episode. does anydody know's what to do so you can go to a specific map? I tipe 1EM4, and it doesn't work..then i tried w/ 1e4m but again...does ultimate doom work w/ this, right? or is that doom just doesn't like me?

1EM4? You mean E1M4?

Share this post


Link to post

I use doom.exe -warp e1m4 and it doesn't work.
I tried w/ -warp 1e4m but that's just not right...isn it?
why it doesn't work?

pablod.8m.com

Share this post


Link to post

I tried that before too. Neither "warp e#m#" or "-warp ##" would work on Doom. It only worked on Doom 2. I don't think Doom has a "warp" switch. Maybe it does, but it just has a different name.

Share this post


Link to post

Try this -warp 2 1 . Put a space in between the numbers and dont use the letters e or m.

Share this post


Link to post
pablod said:

I use doom.exe -warp e1m4 and it doesn't work.
I tried w/ -warp 1e4m but that's just not right...isn it?
why it doesn't work?

pablod.8m.com

Doom -warp 1 4

Incase its not obvious, there is a space between the 1 and the 4. 1 is the episode and 4 is the level within that, so -warp 2 5 would take you to shores of hell map 5, -warp 3 8 would take you to inferno 8 etc.

Oops, sorry, didn't spot that Zigmund has basically given this answer already.

Share this post


Link to post

Damn it, I thought I was doing that level!

Heh, looks like I'll make it E2M8 instead.... heh.

(BTW I'm Andy's other NHFL mapping guy)

Share this post


Link to post
Enjay said:

Doom -warp 1 4

Incase its not obvious, there is a space between the 1 and the 4. 1 is the episode and 4 is the level within that, so -warp 2 5 would take you to shores of hell map 5, -warp 3 8 would take you to inferno 8 etc.

Oops, sorry, didn't spot that Zigmund has basically given this answer already.

Shame, Shame, shame on you..... Go sit in the corner!

Share this post


Link to post
pablod said:

...shit, i didn't know, sorry dude.
now i know i don't have to make e2m8.

No problem, as my in-progress E1m8 looked too gothic to be a E1 level... heh, besides, your levels are great!...

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
×