Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

More WadEdit

Here are a few more observations on WadEdit.

1. In my previous post I indicated that WadEdit's technique of saving an image as a lump was an issue only if the user wasn't planning to re-insert the lump in another wad. I.e., if the user planned to use the image in a bitmap format somewhere else then this technique obviously wouldn't work. I have discovered other issues with this technique. First, if one plans to use another editor (such as WinTeX) to re-insert the graphic, then it can't be done because the other editor is looking for a .bmp file and the saved image is in .lmp format. Therefore, one has to use only WadEdit to re-insert the graphic.

Another problem, is that when WadEdit loads the .lmp entry in a slot *outside* of designated markers (such as S_START & S_END) then it treats the image as a marker. For example, TITLEPIC is loaded as a marker. While the image is viewable in WadEdit, it is designated as a marker.

UPDATE: scratch what I just said -- I tried it again and it didn't designate it as a marker. So things are cool.

2. I think that having an undo feature is essential. For example, while adding an entry to a wad I accidentally overwrote an existing entry. {I had selected SCRIPTS, and intended to insert an entry after that. When I loaded an entry it overwrote the SCRIPTS entry instead of creating a new entry after SCRIPTS. I later discovered that to create a new entry you select "New Entry", it creates a slot, you load your lump in the slot, and then rename it.} Because there was no undo, the only choice I had was to exit the program with the changes made permanently into the wad. Having undo is particularly important if a user spends time making several changes only to make a mistake after spending all that time. Without an undo feature the user would have to keep going and finish the planned changes (or exit immediately), return to the wad, and fix the problem if possible. Permanently over-writing an entry may not be an easy problem to fix, particularly if the entry happens to be SCRIPTS.

3. Perhaps having a SAVE option in the File menu would be useful. If I've made some changes but I decide I don't like them, there's nothing I can do to prevent those changes from being saved. Particularly in light of the fact that there's no UNDO feature. The only option would be to always have a backup version of the wad, so that if something screws up one can revert to the backup.

4. In a test wad I have a sprite thats very large (510*232). It displays fine in WinTeX, but in WadEdit it only shows up in numeric format. Other "normal" sized sprites show up fine in WadEdit. It's only this large image that doesn't display.

As before, keep up the good work.

Just a note to say that Paranoia is a damn fine wad. It was done really well. I had a lot of fun playing it. Thanx for the great time :)

"Totally off topic" is correct! Still, thanks for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed Paranoia.

1. Actually saving bitmaps as a native lumps is not a technique, it's a lack of technique :-) It just saves the raw data into a file - just like with every other entry (except WAVes, which is properly exported). However, I *will* add exporting bitmaps.

2-3. Undo is now implemented, unlimited steps can be undone. Perhaps I should change the Entry|Load menu item to Entry|Replace - that's more clear.

4. I already fixed this early this week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just updated ExWE today. Images can now be saved. Plus you can view Duke3D, Quake and other files as well.

http://wadedit.50megs.com