Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Missile speeds

Guest Epistax

Ok have we done this? Make a deh and make some missile objects (plas, bfg, fireball, missile) really REALLY fast.

Why does it do what it does?
What it does for me:

1) clip throough walls (I can understand that)
2) arc. (wtF?)
3) auto aim completely out of control at certain corners
4) auto aim completely out of control at certain things, enemies or non, and often completly miss but still obviously aiming at.

What is the fastest you can go without ... weirdness?

Guest Fanatic

Because hacking an executable often gives odd results, and the engine cannot calculate the accuracy properly with higher values than intended.

Most source ports handle fast projectiles properly tho (especially Win32 capable ports).

Guest Epistax

I would understand that if say, you exceded the boundry of the data type (ie went high enough to cause a crash) but that is all. I don't see how a larger number can actually change the course of a projectile. I am a programmer myself, and I have used physics engines... making a number really big usually doesn't do that heheh.

Guest Fanatic

Using Dehacked is not programming. It's a super user friendly HEX editor.

The high values screw up DOOM's accuracy calculations, I'm assuming are a problem with it's floating point support.

That's the best explanation I can give you.

Epistax said:

I would understand that if say, you exceded the boundry of the data type (ie went high enough to cause a crash) but that is all. I don't see how a larger number can actually change the course of a projectile. I am a programmer myself, and I have used physics engines... making a number really big usually doesn't do that heheh.

Well, obviously Doom does ;)

I guess you could get some good tricks out of this. For example you could make a "Spray Gun" and it shoots all over the place near the target.

Guest Epistax
Lazer said:

I guess you could get some good tricks out of this. For example you could make a "Spray Gun" and it shoots all over the place near the target.

i tried. it doesn't work because the gun locks on to a coordinate, lets say to the upper left of a monster. until you get that monster completely out of your view, all your shots arc to that spot.

usually it just picks a random spot on the floor.