Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crym01

No Doors ...

Guest Crym01

I am just working on my first level ...
hmm, okay, it's just a modified E1M1 DM-Level

but, now I have a problem:
How can I change a door in a passage ...

you can view a screenshot here:
http://www.geocities.com/crym_e1m1/NoDoor.JPG

btw: as you can see, i am working with deepsea

thx for any replies
-crym

Very simple. Just get rid of all the actions like when you click on it to open, and then make the sector just like all the surrounding sectors so you never even notice a door was there in the first place.

Guest Crym01

uuh ... i think i dont understand :(

hmmm, it would be easier if you could describe all actions to do ... because i just started with map-editing ... and so i really dont know much about ...

Guest Crym01
Lazer said:

Very simple. Just get rid of all the actions like when you click on it to open, and then make the sector just like all the surrounding sectors so you never even notice a door was there in the first place.

uuh ... i think i dont understand :(

hmmm, it would be easier if you could describe all actions to do ... because i just started with map-editing ... and so i really dont know much about ...

There are several ways to "remove" a door. Here are 3 ways, depends on how fast you can type as to which is "better". I'm assuming that the doors have not been modified.

Let's do the upper left door:

Example 1:

1. Press S to be in sector mode.
2. Left Click on the door sector (put the cursor between the 2 door lines)
3. Left Click on the sector to the right of the door.
4. Press Enter (or right click)
5. Press the "Clone" button (this gives the old door sector the same height/flats as the sector to the right of the door (exit the sector menu)
6. Press L for Linedef mode (press C to clear selected lines from before)
7. Click on the 2 long linedefs that define the door outsides.
8. Press enter (or right click)
9. Select LineDef Type and select Normal.

You may want to change the side door textures.

Example 2:

You could also have "merged" the Door and sector next to it. This is similar except you end up with 1 sector:

1. Press S for sector mode
2. click the Door Sector and then the sector to the right.
3. hold the shift key (to keep from switching selections)and select Misc Menu "8 Merge Sectors" (or press alt+m to get the menu and then not worry about pressing the shift key).

The Rest as before.

Example 3:

The shortest in steps (but not necessarily the quickest)is:

1. Press S for sector mode.
2. Put the cursor over the Door sector.
3. Press Enter (or right click)
4. Enter floor and ceiling height of the door sector as 0 and 72 (from 0, 0).
5. Press L for Linedef mode
6. Press Enter (or right click)
7. Change the Type to Normal
8. Edit graphics as desired.

Guest Crym01

oh yyyyesss, thanx a lot :))

but i have one more question :)

>
http://www.geocities.com/crym_e1m1/closed.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/crym_e1m1/open.JPG

please compare those screenies

and now the problem:

when i start the level the door (or whatever it is) on the other side is closed, but i want, that it is opened without walking out.

Not 100% sure, but I think you want to open the Door without walking over the linedef (the way it is now).

The way you do that is to make a new linedef type somewhere else. For example, make a "switch" to trigger the door. The way that one works is that a LineDef has a tag "=4" which connects to a sector with the same tag "=4".

If you look carefully at the screen you can see that when you move the cursor over LineDef# 476 (in LineDef mode), sector 2 lights up. If in Sector mode and you move the cursor over Sector 2, linedef 476 lights up.

That's basically how DOOM works - a LineDef tag connects a Sector with the same tag. Not all specials require tags, but if unsure - do it<g>

So put your new LineDef "door" switch special on a wall where you can "press" it. To do it properly, one should draw a "switch" - but that has to do with looks, not how it works.

Edit linedef#7, press enter and enter a tag of 4. Then press LineDef type and select Door Open and select P (115), which is a SR open door. Save the level, walk to that line and press that wall. The "door" will open.

Read the F1 help about how "tags" work and review the sample levels and explanations - tutorial (see DOOM1TUT.WAD ).

The best way to learn is to understand the basic concepts, then look at levels that aren't too large (the DOOM1 ones are good) to figure out (and confirm) the details.