Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pete the cheat

Fog Effects (Again)

Guest pete the cheat

OK I have messed around with colourmaps but the closest I can get is making the area black and white!! Is there any way to set the screen fade like on ZDoom, I can't find any refernece to it in the DDFs.

Insert a lump called MAPINFO into the wad. For each map you want fog, you just type in:
setfade "?? ?? ??"
Replace the question marks with numbers. Setfade can be also called outsidefog and that will make only outside have fog. For a nighttime area where it is cool and fogish (you know what I mean) "44 44 44" is really good. For a very fogish area "99 99 99" works really good. You can also mess around with the numbers to get different colors. I hope this helps.

Or you can experiment with the coloring and fading using the console commands "testcolor" and "testfade." I can't get the fog stuff to work without having an zdoom compatible editor such as WadAuthor or dme.

No, all you need is Wintex or anything else that can insert lumps (WadEdit). Then you just type in what I said in the lump starting with:
map??

I can't insert a "mapinfo" lump in a wad, because when I choose "load entry from file" it only lists the possible lump types playpal, colormap, demo1, demo2, demo3, gmxgusc, genmidi, and endoom, but no mapinfo. In that window I try to type in mapinfo, but it doesn't work. I select "new entry" from the "guru only" menu, but nothing happens. Am I looking in the wrong place?

This is getting a little frustrating, and I bet it's also getting frustrating for you as well.

Guest TheWorm

Zeratul: you can insert any lump(such as colormap or playpal) then find the "rename entry" option. Rename whatever entry you put in as mapinfo.

I think I already tried that. I made a lmp called "mapinfo" and in the lmp I put in what lazer told me:

Map01 outsidefog "44 44 44"

All I get is the "bad syntax" error when I attempt to start it up now. I tried putting the RGB part with quotes, without quotes, with commas, without commas, without spaces, etc. and I still got the error. The same thing happened with "setfade" as well. I looks like I still don't know what I'm doing. So now what's going on?

Then try this:

map MAP01 "Entryway"
outsidefog "44 44 44"
nojump
sky1 SKY1 0.0
music D_RUNNIN
par 30
next MAP02

-nojump is optional
-the sky can be changed to any texture you have
-you can also make Entryway be anything you want (sorta loike using Dehacked). Now just copy and paste.