Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Astewart41

EDGE related editing..?

Hey. I need just a few pointers from Marc on maybe how to implement the "Multiple floor" code as seen in "edgedemo.wad"? I know this sounds really bad, but I use DoomEd4.2, and I'm learning DeepSea right now.

One more thing. I've been trying to get this to work for a while, but it won't. How do you start up the invisible stair effect....?

Please respond as quickly as possible.
(P.S, I need suggestions for my Project!!!)

Guest Fanatic

You just need an editor that allows you to add new line triggers.

The one's you'll need are:

400=EDGE Thick Extrafloor [dummy]
401=EDGE Thick Extrafloor [master upper]
402=EDGE Thick Extrafloor [master lower]

Just mess with type 400 until you get the hang of it.

We have one premade for DOOMCad 6.1 on the EDGE page at http://edge.sourceforge.net, I think in the downloads section.

What's the invisible stair effect you speak of?

Errr... It's hard to explain, have you ever played the MK revenant patch for Doom2 where it has the anti-grav effect faked by invisible stairs? Basically, the invisible stair effect is supposed to work like this: You build a stair set, except the stairs themself (Rectangular stairs) all have a sector floor height of 0 (Or whatever is the starting height for the stairs) and then you place little trianglular shaped sectors inside of them that have a height incrementing to where you want it to go with no textures on any of the upper/mid/lower texture areas, and the linedefs must refer to the inner of the sector (So all the lindefs of that sector point to each other) and then it's supposed to like glitch the engine so it displays no floor textures and you can just walk on it. *whew*

An Edge project has been added in the next release of DeePsea with these new types added. You can make your own EDGE.OPT file now and add the types listed by Fanatic.

As I recall, EDGE uses all the BOOM types too, so copy the BOOM.OPT and call it EDGE.OPT. Also Copy the BOOM.PRJ and call it EDGE.PRJ. Now select the EDGE project, press F5 and change the OPT filename to EDGE.OPT.

Use the F7 Edit/Export/Save to change the EDGE text lump definitions.

You can make as many projects and OPT files as you like to match any ports I did not do yet. There will also be a special "Skull Tag" project too in the the next release (or whatever it's going to be called - although I like Skull Tag<g>)

Astewart41 said:

Errr... It's hard to explain, have you ever played the MK revenant patch for Doom2 where it has the anti-grav effect faked by invisible stairs? Basically, the invisible stair effect is supposed to work like this: You build a stair set, except the stairs themself (Rectangular stairs) all have a sector floor height of 0 (Or whatever is the starting height for the stairs) and then you place little trianglular shaped sectors inside of them that have a height incrementing to where you want it to go with no textures on any of the upper/mid/lower texture areas, and the linedefs must refer to the inner of the sector (So all the lindefs of that sector point to each other) and then it's supposed to like glitch the engine so it displays no floor textures and you can just walk on it. *whew*

That incredibly long sentence made it a little difficult to understand what exactly you're saying, but are you giving both sides of the invisible sector's linedefs the same sector reference?

For example, imagine a big box; this is sector 0. Now imagine a second box in the middle of it; all the sidedefs in this second box should be in sector 1, and none in sector 0.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Now it's on to Script editing.. *LOL* If you haven't noticed.. I'm trying to take full advantage of Edge's new level features in my LIL project, and I'm having trouble with Map02.

Here is what I have in my .scr file: (The RTS for Map01 worked, just kill the cyberdemon and the level ends.)

start_map map02

// Lowers floor across tracks when Arachnotrons are killed

radiustrigger 0 0 -1
ondeath ARACHNOTRON
activate_linetype 38 666
end_radiustrigger
end_map

What am I doing wrong..???

NiGHTMARE said:

That incredibly long sentence made it a little difficult to understand what exactly you're saying, but are you giving both sides of the invisible sector's linedefs the same sector reference?

For example, imagine a big box; this is sector 0. Now imagine a second box in the middle of it; all the sidedefs in this second box should be in sector 1, and none in sector 0.

Simple, you just make all the lines on the outside of your invisible sectors refer back to the sector they are part of on both sides of the line. For example:
._
|_|

Say that is sector number "321", make all the lines (on both sides of each line) refer back to sector 321. Then, you just make a bunch of these sectors with whatever floor height you want and place them wherever you need to place them. If you are making something more complicated like this:

. _ _
|_|_|
|_|_|

You do the same thing but all the outside lines refere back to the sector they make up. So in this picture:
-2 lines will refer back to sector ---
And it applies to every other shape you want to make invisible.

Note: All .'s mean nothing in the figures I drew.

Guest Fanatic
Astewart41 said:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Now it's on to Script editing.. *LOL* If you haven't noticed.. I'm trying to take full advantage of Edge's new level features in my LIL project, and I'm having trouble with Map02.

Here is what I have in my .scr file: (The RTS for Map01 worked, just kill the cyberdemon and the level ends.)

start_map map02

// Lowers floor across tracks when Arachnotrons are killed

radiustrigger 0 0 -1
ondeath ARACHNOTRON
activate_linetype 38 666
end_radiustrigger
end_map

What am I doing wrong..???

Do you have a sector with a tag of 666?

The active_linetype is this:

activate_linetype [line trigger] [sector tag]

So you are activating line type 38 (LOWER FLOOR TO LOWEST W1) and applying it to a sector with the tag of 666.

Can sector with tag of 666 be lowered?

Lazer said:

Simple, you just make all the lines on the outside of your invisible sectors refer back to the sector they are part of on both sides of the line. For example:
._
|_|

Say that is sector number "321", make all the lines (on both sides of each line) refer back to sector 321. Then, you just make a bunch of these sectors with whatever floor height you want and place them wherever you need to place them. If you are making something more complicated like this:

. _ _
|_|_|
|_|_|

You do the same thing but all the outside lines refere back to the sector they make up. So in this picture:
And it applies to every other shape you want to make invisible.

Note: All .'s mean nothing in the figures I drew.

Okay, thanks once again for the help.

Now.. It's back to script-editing. I got RTS Online to help me
with my script (I hate using Notepad to create them from scratch)
and in response to the reply about the RTS to lower a door
when arachnotrons are killed, I had the floor alt. match the
ceiling and I tagged it 666, and I tagged the activate_linetype
to this : activate_linetype 38 666 (Having ONDEATH ARACHNOTRON beforehand), and it doesn't want to work, can anyone help?

Next off, I want to know something.. IS IT POSSIBLE to create a perpetually moving floor raise and lower (To simulate a wave effect) using the sectorv tag in a script? I tried to do it, but all it did was repeat and repeat and repeat until I reached a negative altitude of about -1000!!! I need help.

Hope this isn't getting too annoying!

Guest Fanatic

Zip up your level and RTS with the tag you're trying. I'll take a look at it.

To make a sector wave up and down in an infinite loop, use something like this (test on DOOM2 map01, the start room floor will bob up and down):

start_map map01
radiustrigger 0 0 -1 // take affect everywhere
tagged_repeatable 0 2T // loops forever every 2 tics
sectorv 0 1 floor // sector 0's floor goes up 1 unit 8x
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor // floor goes down 1 unit 8x
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor
wait 2T
sectorv 0 -1 floor // ...and repeats
wait 2T
end_radiustrigger
end_map

Astewart41 said:

Okay, thanks once again for the help.

Now.. It's back to script-editing. I got RTS Online to help me
with my script (I hate using Notepad to create them from scratch)
and in response to the reply about the RTS to lower a door
when arachnotrons are killed, I had the floor alt. match the
ceiling and I tagged it 666, and I tagged the activate_linetype
to this : activate_linetype 38 666 (Having ONDEATH ARACHNOTRON beforehand), and it doesn't want to work, can anyone help?

Next off, I want to know something.. IS IT POSSIBLE to create a perpetually moving floor raise and lower (To simulate a wave effect) using the sectorv tag in a script? I tried to do it, but all it did was repeat and repeat and repeat until I reached a negative altitude of about -1000!!! I need help.

Hope this isn't getting too annoying!

Thanks once again for the help, Marc! I got all the things working for the script in my project right now. And I downloaded DoomCad 6.1 and I put in the modified Doom2.ini for it so I can utilize 3D-effects on it. Now, I just need to know how to make a floor-above-floor effect just on an example sector using it. Where do I put the linedefs for it? On the sector being raised, or somewhere else? And does the sector I'm raising need a certain ceiling height?

Guest Fanatic

Grab this: http://download.sourceforge.net/edge/edge-tutorials-1.0.zip (230k)

It's a tutorial I wrote for EDGE 1.24 and DOOMCad 6.1 for making 3D floors. It'll work fine with 1.25 too.

Try it out and lemme know if it's helpful.