Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

A few Wintexing questions...

1. How, if possible, do I add in NEW animated textures?
2. How, if possible, do I add in NEW animated flats?
3. Since you can add in new frames to sprites, how do you get Dehacked to be able to use them?

Lazer said:

2. How, if possible, do I add in NEW animated flats?

SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FACE

Not sure about the details of wintex, but the principle for increasing the number of frames in a texture animation is to add extra texture names in between the the existing textures.

So SFALL1, SFALL2, SFALL3, SFALL4 may become SFALL1, MYPIC1, MYPIC2, MYPIC3, SFALL2, SFALL3, SFALL4

This is possible as the order of the textures is determined by how they are in the TEXTURE1 lump, and not simply in alphabetical order.

The principal may be similar for flats, but as flats are not part of a database type lump, getiing extra flats between the existing ones may or may not be a problem.

If you want to make things for BOOM, or any BOOM compatible port, you can actually define your own animations (and switches) using a data file that you compile with a prog called SWANTBLS.EXE. The file that comes with BOOM is called DEFSWANI.DAT and is a text file. The format is pretty straight forward. In this file you define the textures or flats to be used and how quickly they animate. This process creates an ANIMATED and SWITCHES lump for you to include in your wad.

In Zdoom, there is a text lump called ANIMDEFS that you can use. This allows you to define your own animations, but also has the flexibility to vary how long each frame from an animation is shown, and also allows the watery "warping" effect similar to the quake style swirly water.

To add extra sprites, and make them work, I will simply quote part of an E-mail I sent to someone else earlier tonight (saves me writing it all out again). The answer specifically relates to Zdoom, but should work with other ports.

"Example. Say you were replacing the Tall blue torch. You would want to replace the normal 4 graphics, and then add 2 more to the sequence. You would create graphics called TBLUA0, TBLUB0, TBLUC0 and TBLUD0 to replace the originals, and then create TBLUE0 and TBLUF0 to add on to the end of the sequence. The graphics you create have to follow on from the original ones, not leaving any gaps in the sequence, other wise Zdoom gets upset.

Next you have to make them be seen. Find the last animation frame for the tall blue torch. (it's 929) and set its next frame to be whatever the first of the free frames you have found are. There are many ways to find frames to use in dehacked. You are only looking for 2 in this case, so its easy. You could shorten the teleport fog or item spawn frames by a frame or two (by giving the second last frame the same next frame that the last one normally has). There is an unused frame (887) that shows a small grey stub thing that never appeared in the games, or there are the pain elemental respawn frames (720-725). I think that's all there are, but if you are hacking quite a bit, you may well be able to create a few more.

Anyway, lets say we are going to use 2 of the pain elemental respawn frames. It's safe to do this as the archvile never resurrects the pain elemental as it doesn't leave a body, but for the sake of neatness, you are probably as well to set the pain elemental thing to have a respawn frame of 0. Once you have done that, set frame 929 to have a next frame of 720 instead of 926. Go to frame 720 (hit g and type 929). Change it to have sprite # 121 (the TBLUX series of sprites) and sprite sub # to 4. This will tell it to find and use TBLUEX, your first added sprite. Hitting space will not show the graphic, as it is not in your IWAD, but if you load your PWAD Zdoom will find it no problem. Set the rest of the frame properties as you wish (duration, bright etc) and leave the next frame as 721. Edit 721 in a similar way to 720, only making the sprite sub # 5 to use TBLUFX. Set the next frame of 721 to be 926 to take it back to the start of the animation cycle.

This is my quick hack showing the above. I haven't checked it, but it should work. Don't worry about the large sprite sub numbers. They show up as 4 and 5 in dehacked, but because I also set the frames to be "bright", dehacked automatically adds 32768 to the sub number. Apparently that's how doom recognises a bright sprite.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 23 (Pain Elemental)
Respawn frame = 0

Frame 720
Sprite number = 121
Sprite subnumber = 32772
Duration = 4

Frame 721
Sprite number = 121
Sprite subnumber = 32773
Duration = 4
Next frame = 926

Frame 929
Next frame = 720

"

Hope that is of use.

Heh, ok :) I was gonna actually answer those but that guy above beat me to it, and how.

I can't said if you can with other program. But editing with ZDoom can be cool for animated texture.

Just open Wintex, create a new wad who will contain those texture and name them like :
ANIM_X1
ANIM_X2
ANIM_X3

Just in orders.

Now create a new Data in the Lump section and name it ANIMDEFS.
in this ANIMDEFS lump, write with a text editor like NotePad or BlocNote those information :

texture your_texture_name
pic 1 tics 6
pic 2 tics 6
pic 3 tics 6
pic 4 tics 6

// texture is for wall texture
// pic 1 ==> is the first texture of the set you want to animated
// tics 6 ==> is the 1/35 of a second. 6 tics a normal frames second of many texture.

now for those floor and ceiling (flats) it's the same as above but more different in one line.

flat your_flat_name
pic 1 tics 6
pic 2 tics 6
pic 3 tics 6
pic 4 tics 6

// flat is for floor/ceiling texture
// pic 1 ==> is the first texture of the set you want to animated
// tics 6 ==> is the 1/35 of a second. 6 tics a normal frames second of many texture.

and for something cool about flat is to warp them.

write this at the bottom of the lump files like :

warp flat the_flat_name

//***********\\

Now just a look of the final test.

texture wdukeln1

pic 1 tics 6
pic 2 tics 6
pic 3 tics 6
pic 4 tics 6

texture wegouta1

pic 1 tics 6
pic 2 tics 6