• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chrille

A free windows based editor?

Guest Chrille

Hello

I recently plugged my mac back in to get hold of a couple old Doom 2 levels I made with on it. However, PC Doom 2 doesn't like the way the levels are saved so I just need a simple windows based editor to open up the levels and re-save them so that pc doom will accept the maps. I tried a few mentioned on the doomworld files page but they were all shareware so I couldn't save the maps :-/

What editor do you guys recommend? Or is anyone willing to take the maps by e-mail and just re-save them? They're very small.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Mac levels, but -if- they reverse the data (back to the way it should be<g>), then no PC editor will be able to edit the levels.

All I know for sure is the a Mac and a PC do not store numbers in the same format and you said DOOM would not play the levels, hence my guess.

I suspect what you got was an error message resulting from same, since small levels are not an issue for any shareware editor.

Did the level(s) show at all?

Guest Chrille

Mac levels are the same as PC levels but the editor I created 'em with seems to screw a few things up. All the levels loaded just fine in that DeeP windows editor (or whatever it was called, supports most doom levels, size-limit shareware) that is available here in the doomworld files section. I didn't mean the levels were "small" in that way, I was referring to the file size and that it would have been easy to send them via e-mail.

Most of the levels I made do work fine on the pc but there are some that the pc version doesn't like but that the pc editor does accept. I just wanna try and re-save the levels in a pc editor properly this time but DeeP wouldn't let me.

DoomEd should work fine for just reading and saving levels.

But I wonder what is in the level that is causing a problem?

I'd be interested in having you send me any of them that you say don't work. Or if there aren't too many, send all the bad ones, and I will send them back converted.

Guest Chrille

I'll re-check which ones acted wierd but until then where can I find DoomEd?

Thanks!

Guest fragg

Pretty decent of you Deep.
fragg

Chrille said:

I'll re-check which ones acted wierd but until then where can I find DoomEd?

Thanks!

Hey, in the case that you can't get DoomEd 4.2 from that FTP (Since some of them do not carry them anymore) I have a copy of it for Windows. (Shareware), DoomEd is not made anymore, more's the pity since I have been using DoomEd for 5 years now to create levels. I'm gettin' into DeepSea, as it seems like a very sophisticated editor, but nonetheless, very very useful when learned. Nice job by the way on the editor! Anyways, if ya can't get ahold of DoomEd 4.2, just tell me and I can get a copy on here. Later!

If anyone's curious, I received 5 levels. They had things like invalid sidedefs, invalid sector numbers (like -61234), invalid sector types, bad sector heights and texture names with similar distortions. Just as some PC editors can make a mess, similarly these were introduced by the Mac editor.

Slight chance it could have been a file transfer problem, since he indicates they ran on the Mac. I tend to think those versions did not run because the basic lump directory had valid pointers. IOW a bad file transfer wouldn't just pick on certain specific entries. Maybe it was a different copy? I'm still curious about that.

1 had vertex errors, so some linedefs were lost, 1 had sector height errors which have to be redone by hand. Overall, most of the levels were recovered. I could play all of them, except the one with bad sector heights was not "viewable".

Nice levels with good design. I hope he spends the time to fix them.

It was a good chance for me to check the error recovery in DeePsea, for which I need bad levels like these. I did need to make 1 change.