Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crym01

Modified DOOM 2 Levels for ZDaemon!

Guest Crym01

Next week (i hope so) i will complete my modified E1M1 Level ...

okay ... today i played ZDeamon and i thought some Doom2 Levels are not very good for Deathmatch Mode ...

so what do you think of the idea to modifie all (or most ... or many :)) original Doom2 maps so that they are playable in DM mode??

Guest MrHarmony

Dunno, really... I was thinking the very same thing; modifying the original levels. Eliminating some of the dead ends, perhaps adding a few secrets and other stuff to improve the possibilities of tactical tricks.

As to actually doing it, I'll have to learn more about deathmatch gameplay and tactics, as well as level design first. Been programming for 16 years (B****, 68k, x86, C, C++, Pascal etc, mostly low level stuff, graphics, sound,...), and doing graphics and music for some 10 years, but I'm quite new to Doom editing. Me and my girlfriend just discovered this great creativity
outlet (which also results in levels for hours of fragging fun :-)

Anyway, there's one major problem with modifying levels: If you add "circular paths" and stuff, you can totally change the gameplay - which results in a level that looks very familiar, but really isn't. Strange. Don't know if that's good or bad... :-)

Anyone actually tried this seriously?

That was one of the first things I did at first too (long ago)!

Adding new "circular paths" usually improves death match play. Once one plays the "new" level, the old seems very restrictive.

If you like it better, it's "good":))

As an added bonus, it's a good way to get into editing.