Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

Fake 3D bridges (Yo, Lazer...)

I got a bridge working on Magma Fortress, map18 on SS, but only half of the trick is done. Now I'm trying to set it up so you can walk over AND under it. How do I set up the required dummy sectors?

Really simple.
First the dummy sectors (they are all connected):
1_2_3_
|_|_|_|

1. Ceiling and floor height of what the main floor is.
2. Merged with the little sector(s) that make up what you walk on.
3. The floor height is what you want the floor height of what you will be walking across to be. The ceiling should be higher than the floor.

Now make a line to walk across that will trigger sector 2(also all the little inviso-platforms that hold you up. It should be trigger 91, and this will lower them to the ground. Now make a line right before you walk across the bridge that uses trigger 83. This will make the platforms rise.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask.

Oh boy...what did I do...? Obviously it didn't seem to help.

I made a crude test of what you told me to do, but I had no idea what action to assign to the lines. I seem to have set it up all wrong, because when I crossed the tag 91 line, the entire bridge jumps up 32 above the main land, and I had no idea how to set up the tag 83 line. Whoops.

I've taken a look at that map on Requiem "Town of the Dead" which had examples of 3D bridges. I saw that there was another sector "inside" the bridge which is what you actually walk on. Then 4 (not 3) dummy sectors help to raise or lower THAT sector, but the sector that gives the bridge-like look doesn't seem to be tagged to anything. Like I said, all those lines and numbers that are shown in the tutorial are complicating and are hard to follow.

Right, what you see is just some lowered textures that "look" like a bridge. You are walking on little inviso-platforms. All the platforms are merged together, and also merged with the center dummy sector. (when I say merged I don't mean touching, I just mean they all act as one sector) Then you have two sectors attached to the dummy sector (one on each side). One has a floor/ceiling of lets say 0/0 when you cross a line with the trigger type 91 that triggers the platforms, it will bring the platforms(and dummy sector) to 0 because that is the lowest local ceiling height. The other attached dummy sector has a ceiling of whatever you want as long as it is higher than the floor, which is what you want the platforms to raise to whenever you cross a trigger type 83 line that triggers them. If you are still confused try this link to Doomworld's editing pages:
http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/intro.shtml
Oh ya, and what they say about the sector crossing the lines works but it gives errors. Instead, just make a whole bunch of those "red" sectors which act the same way as that one "red" sector, but they don't give errors.

Lazer said:

Oh ya, and what they say about the sector crossing the lines works but it gives errors.

Wrong. But you have to remember that the sector crossing those lines is -NOT- connected by vertices to those lines! It really helps if you look at an example level with your level editor, and see for yourself how it's done.

Good luck,