Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Mirrors?

Guest Epistax

The zdoom KB mentions mirror walls. The explanation in the KB consisted of only phrases such as "it's really easy!". It mentions some special value, then gives an example wad.

I cannot get the example wad from the link in the compiled html file. Could someone explain to me how to make a mirror using WA?

There isn't much to it. Just set a linedef to type 182. Make sure you have void area behind the line equal to the area of the sector that contains the mirror. If you are using WadAuthor just add a mirror type to the WCF file or select the line and right click, then select edit Raw data and set the line type to 182.

I am not sure why people are having trouble with the links. My copy works fine. I uploaded all the example files to CDROM. Look for zkbmaps.zip.

Guest Epistax

I'm not sure what you mean line def type, there is no field called that on the raw data screen. I tried changing the bitset but in retrospect that was probably wrong. Also when you say 182, do you mean decimal 182 (hex b6) or hex 182 (decimal 386), and which does it go in as?

Thanks

<_------------------------------------_>

nm i figured it out. thanks!

For future reference:

Hex numbers in WadAuthor are always of the format 0x0b6 and this is the format I use as well. 182 would be decimal.

To make your life easier you can add it to the wcf file. I have a tutorial on the wcf file in the ZDoom KB and the WCF file has comments in it that explain its structure.

Wildman said:

There isn't much to it. Just set a linedef to type 182. Make sure you have void area behind the line equal to the area of the sector that contains the mirror. If you are using WadAuthor just add a mirror type to the WCF file or select the line and right click, then select edit Raw data and set the line type to 182.

I am not sure why people are having trouble with the links. My copy works fine. I uploaded all the example files to CDROM. Look for zkbmaps.zip.

Why the hell do mirrors require larger blank sectors behind them?

I have never understood this... seems really stupid, a complex in-efficient way of doing something really simple.

For information, this is how Randy explained mirrors in Zdoom:

If you put a mirror on a wall, there must be , and I quote "an empty space behind the mirror at least as large as the area in front of it that it can be viewed from, because mirrors are drawn by physically moving the player behind the mirror and flipping the view horizontally. Earlier versions had some code that tried to throw out subsectors behind the mirror, but it was not perfect, and it interfered with the drawing of sky boxes inside mirrors, so I took it out."

So at least now you know.