Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Astewart41

EDGE DDF Help?

Hey. This is for all people who are familiar with how to edit DDF files for EDGE. I'm confused as to where I need to put the PATH_FOLLOW line in Things.ddf, can someone help? Also, is it possible to make monsters fly up into the air when a rocket explodes near them, just to add effect? (I must admit, I love that kind of thing, nothing is more satisfying then watching an imp fly four feet into the air because of a nearby rocket explosion.. *EG* ) Please reply ASAP. Thanks!

Andy

To Fanatic:

Found a bug in thw WIP (that's expected I guess). EDGE32 (non GL-exe) doesnt run on my system... something about the program not being able to setup the environment.

I like what you've done with the damage variables, and I guess I can live with full vulnerability/invulnerability damage modification. The new ddfs didnt say anything about laser beams or wide-effect explosions... is that stuff still in there (because my shambler's lightning ball sucks balls man... I had to make it tracking... maybe I sohuld just make it throw a really fast projectile instead).

=====

To andy:

I'm not too sure about the PATH_FOLLOW thingy. I never did set up any paths so I didnt need to know aobut them that much, although I think DeathTC would benefit greatly from it...

From reading the ddf-doc, I would have to say you put it anywhere that there is movement, sort-of like in meander states (substitute path_follow for meander or support_meander [or even the "walking" code-pointer]). Experiment with it, MAP18 or 19 seems like a good place to set up movement paths and test them.

I dont think Edge handles physics like quake yet, from my experience playing and trying to do this, if you try a rocket jump in edge (grenade sitting on ground, jump over it right before it explodes) it just blows you horizontally - like the explosion is in the shape of a column instead of a sphere.

But, if you want things to fly father back when hit you can chang the MASS= variable for the mosnters and they will fly farther... it makes a big difference when it comes to barrels.

Thanks for the help, SG! Yeah, the mass thing seems like a fun idea to try, I tried it once, but I think I forgot to save, so I'm not sure what will happen if I set the mass to the lowest possible variable. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Seeya later!

Andy

Yeah, im not sure how fast it will propell something, but I know if you drop the mass on a barrel to about 50-75 they really do travel and a group of them together (3 ideally) will really flatten a group of incoming demons or soldiers if you hit one on the side - it will propell all the other barrels about 128 or so map units before they finally explode (explosive blasts cover a wide area). This sort-of thing happens in e4m9 of the doom1 expansion (clusters of 3 barrels make ideal conditions to send a barrel careening towards certain enemies - good way of hitting them if you cant shoot them directly).

Making mass lower makes the unit fly back further for a certain amount of damage done, imps and soldiers usualyl have about 100, demons for some reason ahve aobut 400, and the bigger monsters have about 1000 (maybe more for spiderdemon?).

Its useful if you dont want explosions blowing people back as far as they do - to make them seem less powerful than they actually are (or vice verse - to make thme seem more powerful by reducing mass). The lowest possible variable would probably be 1, zero might lock the thing up - and I would reccomend a value of at least 50 regardless of object's size, because really low variables would make the thing seem to hit the wall instantly (and flying monsters look as if they instantly teleport to the wall you shot them to)

Guest Fanatic
sirgalahadwizar said:

You need DirectX 8+. Most likely you are using 7.x.

Guest Fanatic

The PATH_FOLLOW is a pointer, so use it in the things STATES(MEANDER)
section, something like this:

STATES(MEANDER)=SARG:A:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:A:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:B:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:B:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:C:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:C:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:D:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW,
SARG:D:2:NORMAL:PATH_FOLLOW;

When you reference a monster to follow a path, RTS will call the meander
frames, and when the monster sees you, it will switcdh to using the
CHASE/ATTACK frames as usual.

I just copy/paste the chase frames and change all CHASE to PATH_FOLLOW,
optionally slow down the frame tics to make them appear to be walking
instead of running. Although DOOM monsters usually move slow. I had to slow
down a lot of QDOOM monsters, since they are often running.

For the exploding projectils like you describe, it may work, but will most
likely crash the engine.

The archvile attack that makes you jump in the air with damage requires a
target. So if you fire when the monster is not in your view, it will crash
stating no target or something. I tried the same and it didn't work for a
bouncing betty kind of attack.

Okay, I found out what I was doing wrong, the DDF files in ICD-DDF.wad did NOT have the PATH_FOLLOW pointers in them for the sprites I needed. I fixed that by exporting that and modifying them again to work with it. Now, I have another (Probably easily solvable) problem, the Wolf SS just sits there and walks back and forth, but EVEN IF I go in front of him, or shoot him, he doesn't attack. What's up with that?

Guest Fanatic

Change the first frame pointer to lookout, so he looks for the player at the first of every loop.