Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

I don't think this can be done, but...

...I'll ask anyway.

Basically, I want a room full of corpses. Not decorative ones, but ready-made fodder for an Archvile to resurrect.

There are two ways I thought of doing this, which were either (a) Squash them with a ceiling or (b) Kill with a barrel.

I don't really like (a) because of the Archvile behaviour with 'mushed' corpses. So it'll have to be (b). Only thing is, enemies can't telefrag barrels, so I'm outta ideas. How do I do this. Is it possible, even?

Yes, it is very simple. Put barrels that get crushed and then they explode killing the enemies in the room. So what you should do is at the beginning of the level make a line that trigers a crushing ceiling which explodes the barrel. Then a line that triggers it to stop just a little bit after you trip the first one. Finallly you add one more trigger that raises the ceiling again which will leave no trace of a crushing ceiling. I haven't seen this done before... Also, what does the Arch-vile do to smushed bodies?

Enemies that either die in a crusher, or get crushed after they die (e.g. under a door that shuts on their corpse) are resurrected as "ghosts" by the AV. They can walk through walls and cannot be killed by direct shots of any weapon. AFAIK, they can only be killed by rockets that explode near them or by exploding barrels. It makes it a huge pain to kill them or avoid them. As you might expect, if there are too many of them the level could become unplayable (or at least unbeatable).

Jayextee said:

...I'll ask anyway.Basically, I want a room full of corpses. Not decorative ones, but ready-made fodder for an Archvile to resurrect.There are two ways I thought of doing this, which were eith

Ghost are only created if a creature is resurrected by an archvile while still being in a place with too low a height. In other words, it'll happen when the corpse is beneath a closed door or downed crusher. If you crush monsters and raise the crushing ceiling back to its original height you will not spawn ghosts when the archvile resurrects them again. You do have to make sure that the crushing ceiling is all the way back up to its original height before letting the archvile loose.

ReX said:

Enemies that either die in a crusher, or get crushed after they die (e.g. under a door that shuts on their corpse) are resurrected as "ghosts" by the AV. They can walk through walls and cannot be killed by direct shots of any weapon. AFAIK, they can only be killed by rockets that explode near them or by exploding barrels. It makes it a huge pain to kill them or avoid them. As you might expect, if there are too many of them the level could become unplayable (or at least unbeatable).

Isn't the Archvile bug only present in the original .exe. AFAIK it won't occur in the source ports.

If you are making a level with Zdoom in mind, you could kill them with a script. I think that would work.

Guest SoulMuncha
Lazer said:

Yes, it is very simple. Put barrels that get crushed and then they explode killing the enemies in the room. So what you should do is at the beginning of the level make a line that trigers a crushing ceiling which explodes the barrel. Then a line that triggers it to stop just a little bit after you trip the first one. Finallly you add one more trigger that raises the ceiling again which will leave no trace of a crushing ceiling. I haven't seen this done before... Also, what does the Arch-vile do to smushed bodies?

If you really want to neaten up things, make the initial barrel and the crushing wall in a little hollow in the side of the room with the corpses, and when the crushing ceiling starts it stays down. If you get texture alignment problems (since the upper texture would be visible) you can add in another sector - an impassable one with a main texture the same as the rest of the room.

Good idea about starting with archvile fodder! never thought of that.