Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoulMuncha

nodebuilders

Guest SoulMuncha

I've been implementing special effects in an old level I made, but I'm getting problems. I'm using WadAuthor to make the level, and bsp v5 for nodebuilding. What's happening is that the finished level doesn't match changes I make to the level, and silly things are appearing which I didn't put in at all.

I've been getting an invisible platform which I can walk on, and which levitates the ammo I have put on it, but when I fire at it the shots are jumped up to as if they were fired while standing on the platform (the shots hit the wall next to the platform at the platform's altitude.) In this case, platform is not bordered by linedefs I have put in (although it is bordered by verticies from existing sectors.)

The special effect I've implemented is the transparent wall trick. I used the method in Doomworld's editing tutorials (the one for bsp) and I'm using Boom to run the wad since there are visplane errors. My transparent wall linedefs for all the transparent walls on the level refer to the origianl two dummy sectors. I also haven't put a texture (or a Y ofset) on the wall linedefs since Boom allows this. The silly thing is that the transparent walls are working perfectly, and it's something else in the level which has changed. I even tried making one of the transparent walls next to the unwanted invisible platform normal again, but this didn't work.

Any ideas why I'm getting this wierd effect (and possibly how to duplicate it for future reference)? Will using a different nodebuilder work?

SoulMuncha

First off, I've deleted the lameness that was posted below by a few other people. No more of that, please.

As for your question, I'd like to give you a solution but I don't understand your problem. Can you be a little more specific as to what you have done and what the problem exactly is?

Lameness is such a relative term. Compared to most of the people and the posts I've seen in here, that was not lame, but in fact normal. But you are the moderator, choose to censor us as you will.

Guest SoulMuncha
Mordeth said:

First off, I've deleted the lameness that was posted below by a few other people. No more of that, please.

As for your question, I'd like to give you a solution but I don't understand your problem. Can you be a little more specific as to what you have done and what the problem exactly is?

Hi, sorry it's taken so long to reply but I kept clearing the post by accident when I tried to send it...

I have a main room with raised platforms and a trench, all of which are normal and good and working fine. I also have rooms joined onto the main room at a floor altitude higher than the platforms in the main room, which are observation decks. When I made transparent walls between the observation decks and the main room (using the transparent door method,) the transparent walls worked fine.

However, in the main room an invisible platform has been created. This platform is the same height as the observation decks and is right next to one of them. It is bordered by the edge of the main room and vertices from normal platforms in the main room. I don't want this platform there.

With this invisible platform you can see the main room's floor under it and you can see the sides of the existing platform and the wall of the main room - you can see everything as if there's no platform there at all. Except for the fact that you can't walk through it, and you can see ammunition suspended in the air. The platform is too high to walk onto, but once on it (using noclip to get there) you can walk around on it normally. An interesting side effect is that any shots fired at the platform behave as if fired while standing on top of the platform, although I have only tried this with bullet weapons.

I think the problem has something to do with the nodebuilder, because after this problem had already happened I tried to make some teleports on the observation decks to connect them. These teleports were meant to be in hollows in the wall. They teleport fine, but the wall textures are missing even after I put them in and double-check it.

For whatever reason, what I put into WadAuthor isn't coming out the other side from Bsp when I run it in Boom, and I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.