Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest killtheclaypara

best editor??

Guest killtheclaypara

which editor do you recommend the most???

Not a simple recommendation to make. First it depends if you are working with "stock" Doom or one of the newer ports.

For BOOM/derivatives and ZDOOM ports, it helps if an editor is directly aware of the newer flags and compatible with Windows. Those are DeePsea (shareware Windows) and DETH/ZETH (DOS, but compatible with Windows).

Others like WadAuthor (shareware Windows) and DCK (DOS only - incompatible with Windows) have modified special files that cover the most common combinations but no direct feedback on the newer flags. DmapEdit (DOS, incompatible with windows) also is a nice editor.

DeePsea and WadAuthor have extensive online help files. The others have very little to none. How important that is depends on you. The windows editors are arguably the easiest to learn - with Deth/Zeth being at the other end of the scale.

This is by no means an exclusive list and opinions vary widely<g>. I suggest you check them out yourself and play around. Here's a link to DoomWorld's editor files: http://www.doomworld.com/files/editors.shtml

Regardless of the editor, the hardest part is actually learning what is going on when you make a level. So set aside some time to learn the terminology and then start having some fun.

It depends on (Just like DT said) what you're editing, if you're working on regular old Vanilla Doom, something like DoomEd 4.2 would be ideal, as there are no exclusive linetypes/sectortypes, etc. That you must deal with. If you're creating levels for EDGE, ZDOOM, BOOM etc, that utilize the engine's special effects, then you should take up something like DoomCad, or (even better) DeepSea to handle them. Wintex is optional, (Last release I had had a built in level editor), I'd suggest using Wintex for Mod graphics, though I believe DeepSea has Graphic inserting tools..??