Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Lighting help

OK, here's my problem: I'm currently working on a level for Doom 2. It's coming pretty good architecturally, but I need some help with lighting. Does anyone know tips on how to make good lighting, or possible a tutorial? I know how to use lighting, I just can't use it effectively. I just need general tips, nothing specific or anything.

Well, first try picturing yourself really being there. Now where and how far would the light shine? Now try to do just that with the editor. You can also check out the "shadowcasting" tutorial on Doomworld for a trick you can use while trying to simulate dynamic lighting. Or you could try playing Requiem (map16 is a good example)

Guest Fanatic

Look at levels that have good lighting, and examine them in the game, and in your editor to see how they did it.

It's a combination of sector usage and proper light levels combined.

A good example is GothicDM and GothicDM2. There's a bazillion out there, but the best examples are plentiful.

I'm not much for explaining things, but if you wanna send me the WAD, I can try a few things and then you can see first-hand, decide if you like it or not.