Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Astewart41

I'll NEVA GIVE UP! :P - I need help w/ WinTex

Yeah, I know, out of the fire an' into the frying pan. I need help with Wintex.. The last version I used of WinTex (Which was a LONG time ago) was so old I'm not sure if it even supported Hexen, or Strife. I recently got ahold of the newest version of WinTex, and I get so easily confused. I just needa know how to:

1). Create a custom texture using textures and panels from Doom2
2). I think I can handle the sprites, I once created a small little thing I called "Gore" TC (Name is self-explanatory, blood, blood, gore, blood, and more blood) That had a few bugs though,
I tried to modify the death frames for the demon (SARG something)
and I made it to work like when killed, his head would fall off, well, unfortunately, I put it below his legs mistakingly thinking it would appear more "in front" of his body, and sadly, it looked more like he was sitting on his own head. *LOL*
3). Import a graphic into a wad from a raw .bmp
*4). (The above paragraph reminds me) Marc, what would I insert into the things.ddf's DEMON Death state (if possible) to spawn a brain and stem sprite when killed? (His head splits open anyways, it'd be cool if something came out!)

Well, I think most of these questions should be easy to answer, especially from Marc with his cool RUINS wad. (Nice Mp3 by the way!) Oh yeah, Marc, nothin' to do with Doom at all, my dad is in a band that played at Moondance Jam in Walker, MN, called the Fabulous Stool Pigeons. You should go check out www.stoolpigeons.com and listen to some o' their stuff, they're pretty good! :)

Well, have a good day all!

- Andy -

This is not really an answer, just shameless self-promotion. Why don't you try my wad editor, XWE? It can do everything WinTEX can do (or, if not, let me know what's missing and I'll add it). It has a cleaner, more intuitive interface.

http://wadedit.50megs.com

I tried to d/l your program but I get a Access Forbidden error. Do you have it some where else? I'll look on cdrom to see if it is there.

I don't know if you are using a download program but if you are , don't. Just use the normal way Windows would download. I had the same problem and this cured it.

Well, I have an idea about the Demon spawning a brain after death, but that means I'd have to put a SPARE_ATTACK: state in the Demon's attribute list, right? Then I'd have to name that attack in Attacks.ddf, now Marc, would this seem right to put that in attacks.ddf? I mean, would it work?

...(I could've been satisfied with the demon sitting on his own head too, right? :P)

- ANDRÉAS - (My name in German)

Wildman said:

I tried to d/l your program but I get a Access Forbidden error. Do you have it some where else? I'll look on cdrom to see if it is there.

I get that too, but it depends if you enter the address wrong: there's not supposed to be a WWW in front of the address. If there is, the DL link flips out. If not, it downloads fine.

1) You can create a custom texture either by replacing an existing texture (this is the easier way in WinTex) or by creating a brand new texture. WinTex is very idiosyncratic with creating new textures, so I'll keep this discussion to editing an existing texture. If you want a brand new texture, use XWE (see post below) or DeePSea, both of which have excellent graphics capabilities.

First, select the texture you want to replace. Any of the WOLF series is a good choice, as these textures are rarely used in custom maps. Open your wad in WinTex, go to Advanced, and select Edit Texture. Scroll down to, say, ZZWOLF9. You'll see that it's made up of a single patch, namely WOLF9. Now suppose you wanted to alter this texture to a metal texture with lights in the middle. While still having selected ZZWOLF9, go to the list of patches and pick WALL47_1. The studded metal texture comes up. You'll notice that it's only 64 wide. Position it so that it covers the left half of your ZZWOLF9 texture. Select WALL47_1 again and position it on the right half of your texture. (Use the offset buttons in the middle to position them exactly the way you want.) Now you have the entire texture covered with studded metal. If you like you can delete the WOLF9 patch. Go to the list of patches and pick WLITA0, WLITB0, and/or WLITC0 (one at a time) and position them in your texture. When you're done go to File, Quit Texture -- you'll be prompted about saving your texture changes. That's it.

3) To import a graphic from a .bmp format you first need to import it as a patch. Again, your best bet is to replace an existing patch, say, WOLF9. Open your wad in WinTex, go to Select, and choose Patches. From Edit, choose Load Entry From File. In the window that pops up type in WOLF9. It'll tell you that the entry replaces one in the IWAD. Click on Okay and you'll be allowed to browse to your replacement patch. Your best bet is to have a patch of the same size (128*128), as this makes the process much simpler. Press Okay and you're done. You don't even need to edit the texture any more -- the new patch simply replaces the existing one. If your .bmp is smaller, then you will need to go into the textures (see 1, above) and insert the additional patches. Alternatively, you could reduce the size of the ZZWOLF9 texture using the scroll bars on the right.

Had enough? :)