Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MD-Zero

A question about skies

Guest MD-Zero

I know how to do a sky with sectors, but on some levels (eg. DooM 1 e1m1 The mountain sky, e2m1, e3m3, etc) they've got those skies that are wall textures I've studied the levels and tried somehow on my levels to do it but it always looks crap. So i figured it must be in the program but theres nothing in dehacked, so is there a program that does this or do I have to put my level on the map with the sky I want on?

Not exactly sure what you mean here. If you want to change the sky in regular Doom simply replace the desired sky texture with a new texture. The sky texture is just an oridnary texture that is displayed as a sky.

If you use ZDoom you can now create skyboxes in the current beta which are decorated dummy sectors that are used for the sky. I have a tutorial on Skyboxes in the ZDoom Knowledge Base.

Guest Fanatic

You're talking about the sky trick, like in DOOM2 MAP01.

You set the sky to be on the ceiling and floor of a sector, make the ceiling height = the floor height, and make the wall textures for that sector blank (the "-" texture in most editors).

The ceiling will 'bleed' over where the walls are, and make the entire thing appear to use the sky texture.

If you want to use different textures, do what Wildman says for a custom sky texture, or make your level use the level set or episode that shars the same texture you want (DOOM has 4 skies, one for each episode, DOOM2 has three, one for each episode).

OK, Fanatic has cleard up what you are asking. I have a tutorial on this in the ZDoom Knowledge Base called Making a Sky Window. This technique will work on any Doom wad, not just ZDoom. The tutorial is how to make a window, but would be exactly the same if you were using along a wall as in Map01.

Guest MD-Zero
Wildman said:

Not exactly sure what you mean here. If you want to change the sky in regular Doom simply replace the desired sky texture with a new texture. The sky texture is just an oridnary texture that is displayed as a sky.

If you use ZDoom you can now create skyboxes in the current beta which are decorated dummy sectors that are used for the sky. I have a tutorial on Skyboxes in the ZDoom Knowledge Base.

I think I get the idea, sorry I didn't make it clear. I made this level along time ago called the Blood Fountain its more or less finished but I've never published it, I was wondering whether anybody would play it for me and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on the level and me as a mapper and help me imrpove my next map.

Guest Fanatic

I can take it for a spin. Where can I download it?

Guest MD-Zero

I did say I hadn't published it, so I'll send it via email or I'll have to find someone to host it any ideas where?

Guest Fanatic

You can email it to me if you like (zip'd up of course): marcpullen@mindspring.com