Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
diluted

oh by the way

if n e has n e like newbie tips for level editing plz let me know i cant fucking understand this shit man

What do you want to know?
-Use new/improved/changed textures.
-Detail *every* room.
-Learn fake 3d tricks.(tutorials section)

like....i use deepsea and i cant figure out like how to make new sectors that dont smear into shit....i close em but they still smear....also say i want the thing to be 16 high what do i put for the ceiling hight and what flags do i put for the line defs?

Well, I recomend trying Dmapedit. It feels a lot like DeepSea, but you can draw sectors without having to set all the references and things like that. It also connects them automatically if you draw a sector next to a sector. (they have to be touching) Also think of the heights as divided or multiplied by 8. 16 is 128, 4 is 32, etc... or 64 is 8. Hopefully you understand what I'm talking about.

well see i tryed dmapedit and it only runs in dos so i tried to run it in dos and it gave me a error of some sort....

You probably need to fix the .ini file. After that, you should watch the demo that comes with it. It is a big help.

Guest Fanatic
diluted said:

like....i use deepsea and i cant figure out like how to make new sectors that dont smear into shit....i close em but they still smear....also say i want the thing to be 16 high what do i put for the ceiling hight and what flags do i put for the line defs?

If you are getting started, you need to get some tutorials and run through the basics. Once you understand and master that, you should be ok to make whatever you want.

Most level editors come with a level tutorial, showing how to make a level using the editor.

Might try DOOMCad 6.1 in the DOOM World files section). I like it a lot.

diluted said:

Here's the quickest way to learn DeePsea.

From the Help menu bar, select "Tutorial Interactive Demo". You will get an onscreen little box with instructions, click "Start Tut". Just do everything it says. Click the red > to go to the next step, click < to go back to the prior step.

From same Help menu, select "Tutorial Quick Start", a more or less narrative of what you just did.

From same Help menu, select "Tutorial Levels" which give a narrative on the sample levels shipped with DeePsea.

You should also review the help topic "A detailed look at Wad Files" to understand level architecture and the terms used. Boring words, rather than exciting levels, but try to at least glimpse through it:)

Technically, sectors are just the floor and ceiling height of an area. So if the floor is 32 high and the ceiling is 132 high, the net height is 100 units (132 - 32).

To make a pedestal (which is what I think you are asking), press F9 and use the prefab tool to make one in some area. Click the left mouse button to start drawing.

Press F1 to see how you can interactively change the shape of the lines being drawn. Moving the mouse changes the shape. Left click to place the object. Right click to exit the tool (otherwise you'll make more).

Now look carefully at the heights and type of linedefs created. You'll see that the new pedestal sector floor is 24 higher than the surrounding sector, but the ceiling is exactly the same. That "pushes" it up from the ground. The lower texture is all that's needed.

Try the same thing with the "light" object.

It takes a bit getting familiar with all the terms and details to get the hang of how it all works. Then lots of practice and pretty soon it's real simple.

You can draw the same by clicking on Ctrl+D and just draw the area COUNTERCLOCKWISE (to get 2-sided lines). Now set the sector heights AND add lower textures (I think you forgot to put lower textures before and that's why the "smear"). If you run the error checker it will point missing textures (you can automatically fix them too).

Lazer's comments are not about the DeePsea I know:) There are NO references and things like that required - just draw. Object reference changes are for correcting mistakes (partially objects)or you want to create tricks - a more advanced area.