Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

New trick?

I can lock a door with a bar in front of it, that needs to be lowered before the door actually opens. The bar is a 3d faked one, and the door DOES NOT open when you try and the bar is there.

Is this a new trick?

Nope, it's pure, Vanilla Doom trickery. I've known the trick for a while, but I've only just put it in a level.

Guest stphrz'

Could you make a little sample wad to better illustrate? I think I know what you're getting at....

Guest kristus

I did a similar in a few maps. But when Legacy got scripting I remade it to work better.

But I did use it again in my Plutonia 2 map.

But this was w/o faked 3d effects.

stphrz' said:

Could you make a little sample wad to better illustrate? I think I know what you're getting at....

It's just a self-referencing, with STEPTOP texture in front of a door. A switch lowers it to the same height as a dummy sector, in the void.

That was the easy part. However, the door would open 'through' this bar, which was not the intention.

So, the simple solution was to make the steptop texture scrolling. Because of the way the texture is, you don't see it scroll, but scrolling lines prevent you from switching through them.

Voila!

I know it's simple as hell, but I'd never seen it, hence I ask if it's 'new'.

Guest Hitmamta

I didn't know scrolling lines did that. Jay that is a cool trick. You could probably do more than just locked doors with this. Any other ways to use this?