Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest se7endeadlysinz

Q about Wads

Guest se7endeadlysinz

Ok, I want to extract the textures from doom for use with some things i'm doing with quake and other levels...however, the wad program i've been using (wally) cannot open the doom wad type...
What program out there is the easiest, and/or best to use for this?

Hiya.

There is a DOS program out there that will extract all the textures from a wad file. I can't remember the name, but you shoudl be able to find it on cdrom.com (look under the "Utils" section).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

My free, Windows based editor can do this. You can open your wad file, select all images and save them into BMP files in one shot. Download it at http://wadedit.50megs.com

Guest Fanatic

Look for DEUTEX. That can extract the entire textures or flats set and dump them into a directory for you, all as BMPs.

Guest se7endeadlysinz
pming said:

Hiya.

There is a DOS program out there that will extract all the textures from a wad file. I can't remember the name, but you shoudl be able to find it on cdrom.com (look under the "Utils" section).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Much appriciated =)
Thanks y'all

You've gotten plenty of answers, but I'll add my $0.02 worth. The three excellent programs I've used for DooM graphics work are:

1) WinTex
2) DeePSea
3) XWE

WinTex and XWE are free, and the graphics and lump management featurea of DeePSea are free. (The map editing features of DeePSea are shareware, with a limit on the size of the map you can edit. The full registered version obviously has no limit on map size. Overall, DeePSea is very versatile, and well worth the registration fee.)

All three programs will allow you to extract DooM graphics and save them in .bmp format. AFAIK, WinTex and DeePSea will only save the images as 256 color images. XWE gives you the option to save as 8 bit or 24 bit images. It also allows you to view (if not manipulate) Quake graphic files. Give it a try, as it's quite similar to Wally.