Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DOMINUS FECIT

Wadauthor newbie help

Guest DOMINUS FECIT

I'm tryin to build my first WAD. Actually, I did, but I can't get it to run. Is it because I have Legacy installed? I don't know if Wadauthor craps out when it senses Legacy around. Is there a good WAD editor/creator that will work well with Legacy? I have DeepSea but damn that's confusing for a fuggin newb such as myself.

I have DOOM shareware, is that the problem? I've got Ultimate DOOM on the way, but I won't get it till next week. :(

You can't run 'other' maps with the shareware version (at least I'm pretty sure of that).
You *may* have to make a new .wcf for Legacy...I'm not sure. My suggestion would be to actually just start makeing a few "normal" DOOM/II levels before jumping into any of the specialized source ports.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Guest Fanatic

Yeah, you can't play add-on levels with shareware.

You'll have to wait until you get a full version of DOOM or DOOM2, then you can play add-on levels.

Read the post "Oh by the way" (3 down from your post) for beginner DeePsea instructions - essentially an on onscreen tutor.

Althought there are lots of ways to do things, use just the one that's the easiest for you right now:)

I suggest you use the DeePsea prefab tools. Press F9 to get the prefab tool - essentially the same as WadAuthor. Then you can split, drag and all that stuff to get the final shapes you want. If you double right click there are the same prefab tools, but these make 2-sides shapes inside of a sector, with no textures.

Be sure to press F1 while in the tool to see the control options available to interactively shape the prefab before "dropping" it.

After a few months, you might want to try direct drawing again and use the prefabs for stairs, getting nice "circles" and building a quick proto for certain common objects - like teleporter pads, windows, and lights.

I'm adding a preview to the prefab tools, combining the 2 prefabs plus full texture choices right from the dialog to make it a bit faster.

Of course that's more choices and maybe that's a bad idea<g>