Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

XWE Question

First, XWE is pretty nifty little program. I do have a question though. I figured out that I need to load the standard pnames and texture1 lumps from Doom and then add my new graphics to the pnames (or the editor doesn't see them).

I also found out that if you click on the texture1 lump you can edit the texture names. However, it does seem to add the new textures to the list when I do Save. Is there a tutorial on creating new textures?

Also, is there a way to automatically create new textures based on the patch list? I am currently using the Auto create in DeepSea which is pretty awesome. I think it would make a great addition to XWE if it isn't in there already.

Great work!

At the moment there aren't any tutorials available on XWE, except for the simple built in help file. To create new textures in XWE:

- Click on the TEXTURE1 entry from the entry browser.
- Use Texture|New or Texture|Duplicate to create a new texture in the list.
- You can rename or resize your texture just by typing in values in the texture list (left grid).
- To add or delete patches use Texture|New Patch and Texture|Delete Patch.
- You can move patches around, or change them by typing values into the patch list (right grid).
- When you are done, click Texture|Save. This will save all your changes.

In XWE, when you 'open' an entry (any kind), you get a chance to edit it. However, none of your changes are saved until you use save. If you look at the status bar, there is a small box there, which indicates if the current entry is modified or not. What's missing at the moment (but will be added today) is a notification, that would come up if you try to 'get out' of your entry without saving (e.g. "This entry has been modified. Save?")

If you right click on the entry browser, there are two options:
- Add to Patch Names
- Add to Texture

The second one does not work yet, but I will add the code soon. Thanks for your comments. :-)

Is there a way to move an entry to a specific location (say, by using drag and drop), rather than moving it up one at a time? For example, I want to add a PLAYPAL but I want it to be at the top of the list of entries. I create a new entry, which appears at the bottom of the list. I replace it with the PLAYPAL, and now I want to move it to the top. If I have a large list then moving it up one at a time is quite a pain. Is there a faster way?

loser said:

Did the person you got the GIF code from get a licence? The last info I had indicated one needed to license use of same (a proprietary format issue). Many don't follow "rules", but potentially this can cause one a lot of grief. I've put off using GIF for that very reason:) Or maybe they relented?

You may want to look at the import code. When I imported over 200 images (I forget the exact number), it exhausted 4gb of disk space? IOW, it triggered the disk full mechanism.

It appears the complete "base" file is rewritten after each image is added - which may account for the slow action doing the above and the disk space issue?

A warning that the file is immediately modified may be useful. Some may "play" with the IWAD (or any WAD) and not realize changes were made.

ReX said:

Is there a way to move an entry to a specific location (say, by using drag and drop), rather than moving it up one at a time? For example, I want to add a PLAYPAL but I want it to be at the top of the list of entries. I create a new entry, which appears at the bottom of the list. I replace it with the PLAYPAL, and now I want to move it to the top. If I have a large list then moving it up one at a time is quite a pain. Is there a faster way?

Just checking, do you know that you can keep the ctrl and u down to keep moving it, so you don't have to do the ctrl+u for every single move up.

Espi:

I tried what you suggested and it worked like a charm. However, it only seemed to go up by a few hundred before stopping with a beep. Then I'd have to scroll up to where it had been moved and use ctrl+u again, and so forth until it reached the top. Still, thanks for the tip -- my wad has over a thousand entries, and using your tip immensely speeds up the process.

I assumed you knew that DeePsea has a special section devoted to just what you are doing - manipulating existing entries - but maybe not?

Press F7 and select "Rename-Ins-Del-Move PWAD Lump Names". The primary purpose is to reorganize existing PWADS. Even the IWAD is fair game:)

If you know what you want to do, it's just about instantaneous.

deepteam said:

I assumed you knew that DeePsea has a special section devoted to just what you are doing - manipulating existing entries - but maybe not?

Hi Jack:

Actually I knew that DeepDea has this feature, and I've used it quite often as a matter of fact. I was just putting XWE through its paces, and the comment was directed at XWE. But thanks for the reply, just the same.

ReX