Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan37

Best zDoom editor?

Guest Dan37

I haven't edited doom levels for years, and all previous experience I had was with edmap 1.4, so, I'm a little out of the loop.

Can anyone recomend a powerful zDoom editor that's as easy to use as edmap?

Thanks,
-Dan

Don't know how good EdMap is, but WadAuthor and DeePSea are unbeatable Windows-based editors for ZDooM.

Guest fragg

ReX, would I be wise to drop PrBoom and switch to ZDoom? I never hear anyonone referring to prboom. Would my map (made w/prboom) convert automatically to ZDoom? Is ZDoom tuff to learn, more so than learning "easy-to-use" prboom? thanx.
fragg

Guest Dan37
ReX said:

Don't know how good EdMap is, but WadAuthor and DeePSea are unbeatable Windows-based editors for ZDooM.

Edmap features one of the best interfaces I've seen yet (I have looked at some editors, just not used them). The only problems I saw with it were fairly minor at the time: used only the available 640k of conventional memory, and no Hexen support (hexen wasn't out yet). I have tried emailing the guy who made it in an effort to see the source (add hexen functionality), but that panned out.

-Dan

fragg said:

ReX, would I be wise to drop PrBoom and switch to ZDoom? I never hear anyonone referring to prboom. Would my map (made w/prboom) convert automatically to ZDoom? Is ZDoom tuff to learn, more so than learning "easy-to-use" prboom? thanx.
fragg

Fragg:

I can't speak for PRBooM, as I haven't used it. However, if you've learned the ropes, are comfortable with it, it offers all the features you need, and it gives you no trouble I doubt you should bother switching. Don't get me wrong, ZDooM is an excellent and versatile port, but I'm sure PRBooM is no slouch either.

If you're looking for a specific feature that PRBooM doesn't offer, then it may be worthwhile to learn the use of another port. I'll list the features of ZDooM that I use the most, and you can compare them with what PRBooM offers and (more importantly) what you are looking for in a port:

1. Scripting -- Allows the author to do many more thing in a map than is otherwise possible, making for real-life situations and environments.
2. Inclines (slopes) -- adds a new "dimension" to the visuals of DooM, again making for more realistic looking environments and structures -- arches, domes, etc.
3. "Bridge" Things -- allows relatively easy construction of bridges and floor-over-floor rooms.
4. Sector floor/ceiling height transfers -- allows for the creation of deep water and floor-over-floor rooms.
5. Sector floor/ceiling light transfers -- allows for more realistic lighting effects.
6. Teleport (not exit) to any level and back -- allows for the creation of hubs.

Many others, including elevators (not lifts), horizontally sliding and swinging doors (polyobjects, which are often more trouble than they're worth), variable gravity, water and wind currents, slippery surfaces such as ice, etc., etc.

I don't know how PRBooM specials will convert to ZDooM specials. Ask at the forums at zdoom.notgod.com

As for learning ZDooM, you can continue to use WadAuthor (with a ZDooM configuration file). The editing menu is expanded, but the primary functions are all there. There certainly is a learning curve, but between the tutorials available and these forums, it shouldn't be difficult to learn.

Guest fragg

Rex your detailed info was excellent. Thanks a lot.
Considering your recommendation, I'll stick with PrBooom for a while, rather than jump around. Good advice Rex, thanx again.
fragg

zdoom is fully boom compatible so your prboom levels will probably run excellent with zdoom :)