Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Making bullets real

Guest Epistax

We've all played quake... well most of us. In quake when you fire nails, you can see them in the air. Any suggestions on how to do that with bullets? I can't seem to make them fast enough without them jumping (making leaps in space instead of sliding).

Do I need to change the doom clock? ack

Guest Fanatic

dehacked won't work, cause the engine doesn't handle high speeds properly (it's a hack).

Using EDGE, you should be able to make it very fast and not have the weird angles. You can also set the pitch and yaw of the projectile (being the bullet) to zero, so it's dead on center every time and super fast.

well you whould have to have it go very fast or else the bullets will take time to travel to there destination, althou it be cool playing with this in multiplayer

Fanatic said:

dehacked won't work, cause the engine doesn't handle high speeds properly (it's a hack).

Using EDGE, you should be able to make it very fast and not have the weird angles. You can also set the pitch and yaw of the projectile (being the bullet) to zero, so it's dead on center every time and super fast.

well you whould have to have it go very fast or else the bullets will take time to travel to there destination, althou it be cool playing with this in multiplayer

Well, it isnt too realisitc to try to make bulelts in doom (or any ofther fps).

I have yet to see anyone make a nice bullet impact gfx (like 'PUFF'), the doom one was bad.

I would like to see tracer effects used more often, like for every five bullets fired you also fire an additional projectile attack (i am referencing edge here, the tracer would have a speed around 60 or 70).

Guest Hitmamta

You can't see bullets in real life so why would you want to do that in Doom?

Guest Epistax
sirgalahadwizar said:

Well, it isnt too realisitc to try to make bulelts in doom (or any ofther fps).

I have yet to see anyone make a nice bullet impact gfx (like 'PUFF'), the doom one was bad.

I would like to see tracer effects used more often, like for every five bullets fired you also fire an additional projectile attack (i am referencing edge here, the tracer would have a speed around 60 or 70).

Check out the latest Zdoom (beta 23 I believe.. maybe 24) they do bullet holes pretty much the same way as duke nukem. I don't think you can make the holes on floors or ceilings, but it makes for good writing.
zdoom.notgod.com/ftp

Guest Epistax
Hitmamta said:

You can't see bullets in real life so why would you want to do that in Doom?

Again, check out the nails in quake. They don't go very slow at all, and yet you can watch them move. You have almost zero chance to dodge them when they are fired straight at you, the same as bullets.

If you're sitting out in the open, and someone shoots a gun at you, the bullet goes infront of you, maybe a foot, and you don't hear the shot, or hear/see where the bullet hits, you still know that you were just shot at or that something went by your head very fast. Gotta put that sense in somehow.