Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MD-Zero

Question on moving pillars

Guest MD-Zero

This should be a fairly trival thing but I can't seem to figure it. I'm working on a map where you start of in jail, and when you walk out of the jail I want some pillars to come down from the ceiling or rise from the floor and block the players path.
However I've tried puting the ceiling on the floor and making them raise no luck and i've tried putting the floor on the celing and using the close door wire but it didn't work and how are you meant to use textures on them because I keep having problems with where to put them: above, below, normal. I end up with a lot of HOM. Hope thats clearer than my last question sorry if it isn't

Floor on ceiling? Ceiling on floor?

You should make this clearer.

However, if it helps, what you should be aiming to do, is make the 'pillars' basically exactly the same as the floor/ceiling sector around them, in terms of heights. You'll need to lower/upper texture them, but think FORWARD to what is going to happen. If it's a door closing action, you'll need to texture the upper - even though it's not visible, because the ceiling heights are the same, they _will_ be.

It's hard to explain any other way than that.

Jayextee said:

Floor on ceiling? Ceiling on floor? You should make this clearer.

Either way, it's closed :)

OK, here;

If you want the bars to come down from the ceiling, use the "close door" tag on a line that you've placed a considerable distance before the bars. When you walk over that line, the bars will close. For example; your floor height is 0 and the ceiling height is 128. You've got the bars. The bars start off with a floor height of 0 and a ceiling height of 128. The line you walk across (with the "close door" tag) will then lower the bars from the ceiling (128) to the floor (0). Make sure you have top textures on all the bars or else they'll give you your HOM when they close.

If you want the bars to rise up from the floor, use the "raise floor to nearest ceiling height" tag on a line that you've placed a considerable distance before the bars. When you walk over that line, the bars will rise. For example; your floor height is 0 and the ceiling height is 128. You've got the bars. The bars start off with a floor height of 0 and a ceiling height of 128. The line you walk across (with the "raise floor to nearest ceiling height" tag) will then raise the bars from the floor (0) to the ceiling (128). Make sure you have bottom textures on all the bars or else they'll give you your HOM when they close.

The tagging itself I assume you know. If you don't; match up line tags and sector tags to decide what sectors get affected by what line. For example; you give your bar-raising/closing line a tag number. Any sectors you want that line to operate, you'll give them the same tag number as that line. You can use tags as many times as you want, just make sure they all match up. If you have a line with no sector tags, activating that line will cause it to operate just about every sector in the level, and that gets REALLY messy.

Guest MD-Zero
Lüt said:

Either way, it's closed :)

Thanx Lut, that did the job nicely.