Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elbryan

Playstation Exclusive Levels

Guest Elbryan

Has anyone ever converted the playstation exclusive levels of doom such as Twilight Descends and Redemption Denied? I would love to have some of those levels for the PC!

That's a good idea. I can't imagine that no one has thought of that before. I wonder if they are out there somewhere already...

If I had a Playstation and Doom for it I would. :) I remember playing some deathmatch level a looonnng time ago against my cousin at this gaming store... it was an arena type level and all brown with an animated firey sky.. that's all I remember. :)

This old GamePro magazine of mine lists all the levels in Playstation Doom and passwords for them, except I think one level is missing. I noticed some levels from the PC games are missing and the order of some levels is changed. Here's thhe PS specific levels.
Ultimate Doom:
MAP16 Hell Gate = PFX7ZN3FFF
MAP29 Twilight Descends = WLHYHCP!!!
MAP30 Threshold of Pain = PFX7ZN3GGG
Doom 2:
MAP54 Redemption Denied = WLHYHPCNNN
Secret Levels:
MAP57 The Marshes = PFX7ZN3222
MAP58 The Mansion = WLHYHCPQQQ
MAP59 Club Doom = PF7XN3N111
I think I remember seeing in an old Gamefan magazine that there's a MAP60, Club Doom 2 but it wasn't my magazine.

Hi !

Great idea....
I've tried one time to "rip" out all the nice ambient music of PSX-Doom. I was not able to do that, so I've sampled that sound, postedited it and converted it to mp3z. That was not the best solution, but it works.
So I've a great interest to try to rip again !!!

has anyone an idea ?

PLEASE TELL ME !!!

And what's with the levels ?

I wanna see they on my PC too, but if I tried to load that with a WAD util, nothing happend, what a mess !!!

Bye,

The King

O:-)

I've got DooM for Playstation laying around here, and of course I tried to look at it. There are also WADs on the CD, but as far as I remember there was one WAD for every level, and all of them are IWADs. Unfortunately they seem to be in another format then the PC DooM WADs, so you can't open them with your standard tools (at least WinTex could not open it) :( Also, the WADs are very small (biggest was about 91kb), but they all have two .IMG called files where it looks like also stuff is stored in there. So anyone there who would like to get the PSX DooM data format??? :)

Guest Gavino

Yep, I've wanted to see that.

The new levels are

16 - Hell Gate
17 - Hell Keep (different)
29 - Twighlight Descends
30 - Threshold of Pain
54 - Redemption Denied
57 - The Marshes (secret)
58 - The Mansion (secret)
59 - Club Doom (secret)

It would be cool to see somebody do this.

Gavino

boris said:

I've got DooM for Playstation laying around here, and of course I tried to look at it. There are also WADs on the CD, but as far as I remember there was one WAD for every level, and all of them are IWADs. Unfortunately they seem to be in another format then the PC DooM WADs, so you can't open them with your standard tools (at least WinTex could not open it) :( Also, the WADs are very small (biggest was about 91kb), but they all have two .IMG called files where it looks like also stuff is stored in there. So anyone there who would like to get the PSX DooM data format??? :)

.img is the playstations native picture format, there are viewers/converters available for it on the net. My guess would be that they hold the textures, which also explains why the maps are so small.

As to the format, it is likely they did this on purpose, and it is also likely to be a small change. Have a look with a hex viewer, I'm sure you could modify one of the existing wad tools that come with source easily to convert them.

I played through all of psx doom (I remember cheating loads at the time) and do remember some cool maps that I haven't seen since.

Guest Duke Nukem

Well, you guys want it and you shall recieve. Im not sure how long it will be until i am done converting PSX Doom to my computer. I am just going to make a port i think so you can play those Dethmatches via modem unlike on the PSX where you needeed 2 playstations, 2 televisions, 2 DOOMs, and a link cable. Talk about a waste of money. I am also converting my old Sega 32X doom up to my computer. This will probably take a year or 2 before i am finished so dont email me asking about it

The psxdoom.wad file on the psx doom/final doom cd's in the
/abin folder contains all the textures for the game levels
so converting them over should be easy even though the psx
doom game uses a different colour palette to the pc version.

Still a very good idea, best to use ZDOOM for the converted
maps though as level 59 CLUB DOOM uses translucent textures
and zdoom would provide an exact port of the maps.

btw. if you use WINTEX to merge the psxdoom.wad into the
doom2.wad you can view the psxdoom texture entries but
not extract or edit them.

Hope it will be NOT only for ZDoom....

...cause my favorite is still GLBoom !

Ok, I had a deeper look into the PSX DooM WADs. Here is what I found out: the WADs use exactly the same structure. Same header, same directory structure and so on. But the first letter of the directory entrys (except Mapxy) are wrong, this is easy to change. But the entrys contain sort of screwed data, not the same format as PC DooM. When you look at the WAD with a hex editors you'll see that for example all flat's names have a wrong first character, actually all strings seem to have a wrong first character. Maybe the guys at Midway used some sort of program to screw the WADs so that nobody (we) can easiely rip them out. Any ideas?

Linguica said:

That's a good idea. I can't imagine that no one has thought of that before. I wonder if they are out there somewhere already...

Isnt this illegal?

Who cares ?

In Germany we say:

"legal - illegal - scheissegal"

Judge sucks !

Hey, look at this site.

http://members.aol.com/ledmeister/

There are tons'o info about the different console versions of Doom and at all a huge "comparison" between all that stuff.

boris said:

Heh, that's right!

Hey guys you dont know me heh I played PS Doom it was asouem cause the sound was great the textures looked sweet the game had an actual sense of fright likt Silent hill it was cool I think id be cool to convert it (Did I say id? heh heh) I also wanted to tell you about something i found out a debuggers code for PS
enter Password D00MNNL#### (Anything in place of ####) This was written ontop of every page in the SNES Verson instruction booklet Odd that it ended up here eh?

-Duker900 (What? So Im A doomfreak)

Guest giltygear

those same levels are on Saturn DooM. i cant believe you actually liked them. but heres a thought: go to somewhere that gives you a map and do it yourself or just get "bleem!" and play it from there. PSX DooM is like a source port with colored lighting and Saturn DooM is like a source port with transparencies. thank you.

Guest giltygear
KING ELVIS said:

Hi !Great idea....I've tried one time to "rip" out all the nice ambient music of PSX-Doom. I was not able to do that, so I've sampled that sound, postedited it and converted it to mp3z. That was

saturn doom has the ambient music on the cd that you can listen to on a regular cd player. im not sure if its the same because i have saturn doom and not psx doom. you could give it a shot and see what happens though

Hmm, I will try to get a copy to check it out, but I think the music in PSX Doom is something near to midi or mod because I haven't found any large files that are possible of audio nature.
Maybe it makes sense to build an own format for a doom ambient sound experience....I will think about that.

Guest giltygear
Duker900 said:

Hey guys you dont know me heh I played PS Doom it was asouem cause the sound was great the textures looked sweet the game had an actual sense of fright likt Silent hill it was cool I think id be cool

what are the codes for? for when you're playing the game of if you hack into it?

the snes version sucked if it wasnt for one thing: they kept the blood in. thank you.

Here's some more codes and secrets

Playstation
http://sages.ign.com/codes/10/671.html
Saturn
http://sages.ign.com/codes/11/657.html

Just keep in mind that GameSages is full of inaccuracies and there's even a lot of blatant bullshit. There's passwords for maps 60 and 61 in PS Doom. I'm not sure if those levels exist but they definately have some level names mixed up. I'm pretty sure there is a map60 called Club Doom 2.

SNES and 32X Doom are the only versions other than PC that I played and they don't have anything the PC version doesn't have.

Guest Duke Nukem

Through my current studies on the PSX Doom I have realized that is basicaaly impossible. First of all, you would need a special port which i have no clue how to make. Second, the port would need to include the format of Music from the playstation( which i have no clue what kind it is ) and you would need it to have movable skys. The sky would take about 7 frames for a atleast half good one. 3rd, all of the things in it have special coding which have different letters and it is just wierd. So as far as im concerned i cant do this project. I tried to make it for ya guys but it is impossible for me to do. Sorry :(

Ok, maybe it's not really practical to attempt the things that you mentioned. However, it should still be possible to replicate the layout, monster and thing placement and lighting (ZDoom does colored lighting and translucent objects etc.). I don't know if the playstation levels had any custom textures but it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate those as well. You may have to do a lot of "eyeballing" and approximation, but it should still be possible to come up with a decent translation of those levels. You might even enhance the levels using special features only found in pc ports of the doom engine (ie ZDoom scripting).

Guest davidlay

I would like to rip out the sound effects and music from psx doom myself and convert them to the mac doom. The problem is how the hell do i do that? I put in the disc and get musics and sound documents in a .LCD form but what the **** is .LCD? Answers anyone?