Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

chuxen.wad

If you have Hexen, be sure to check out this WAD. A 6-level, amazingly designed hub. It should keep you busy for hours! Don't worry, this time we're talking QUALITY! ;)

Guest cocoon

I've played the first map and it looks real good. I also downloaded the author 7map doom2 wad, infected. Dig it up at cdrom.com, it is pretty good.

:O Someone actually replied to this thread? No way!! :D

Yeah.. The first level is nothing. This 6-level HUB is amazing! It goes above and beyond the quality of Hexen levels. Man, if you like the first level, you're going to just love the next five!! There's some mind-bending puzzles though, so beware... :-b

Guest cobosdan

I want it NOW !!

Erm... but where is it? = (

AndrewB said:

Oh, and if you're not too lazy, drop some comments here. :-b

OK... this wasn't too bad. There was some decent stuff here, nothing spectacular. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it more had it not been for those god-frickin lens flares in JHexen. I managed to turn off the actual corona but those stupid dots that fly around the screen are 10 times worse than when I leave my contacts in for months at a time. Then again I'm only using v0.90. Now then, about the actual levels. Nothing stood out, most of it just passed for rehashed Hexen in terms of level design, FX, and even events. The level names were pretty cheesy too, but amusing nonetheless. This gets a 4.5/10 from me. I'd highly recommend buying the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel package before playing this. With the exception of the 2nd hub, that pack has to be one of the best things ever.

cobosdan said:

I want it NOW !!

it's on ftp://ftp.cdrom.com but strangely enough, you have to go into their Doom2 directory to get any doom/doom2/heretic/levels. Whatever that's about.

cobosdan said:

I want it NOW !!

Go to ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/hexen/a-c/chuxen.zip okay? :D

Lüt said:

OK... this wasn't too bad. There was some decent stuff here, nothing spectacular. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it more had it not been for those god-frickin lens flares in JHexen. I managed to turn off the actual corona but those stupid dots that fly around the screen are 10 times worse than when I leave my contacts in for months at a time. Then again I'm only using v0.90. Now then, about the actual levels. Nothing stood out, most of it just passed for rehashed Hexen in terms of level design, FX, and even events. The level names were pretty cheesy too, but amusing nonetheless. This gets a 4.5/10 from me. I'd highly recommend buying the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel package before playing this. With the exception of the 2nd hub, that pack has to be one of the best things ever.

Were you expecting maybe new textures, sounds, sprites, a whole TC maybe? If you know of a better WAD for Hexen than that, tell me about it! 4.5/10?? PPPppppfffttt!! Okay, well then, that's how you feel. I still say it's a darn good WAD!!

Guest cobosdan
Lüt said:

it's on ftp://ftp.cdrom.com but strangely enough, you have to go into their Doom2 directory to get any doom/doom2/heretic/levels. Whatever that's about.

Maybe I'm too much of an enthusiast, but I enjoyed Chuxen a lot, and I mean a whole great lot.

Played it through non-stop and I would give it a 10, but please don't forget that I'm no expert and surely miss the finer points of the art of wad-making evident to a pro.

Then again, as I enjoy playing so much, for works better than this fine effort I can happily give a 20 or 40, the sky is the limit ;)

Yep, Deathkings was really excellent ( though a little hard for my skill at that time :( , will have to replay it any time now :D )

See ya guys

That's the spirit!! It's all about enjoying the game and nothing more!! I know how you feel.. It's a really, really enjoyable WAD! :D

AndrewB said:

Were you expecting maybe new textures, sounds, sprites, a whole TC maybe? If you know of a better WAD for Hexen than that, tell me about it! 4.5/10?? PPPppppfffttt!! Okay, well then, that's how you feel. I still say it's a darn good WAD!!

Yes it was fun to play. Enjoyability gets an 8, only because I had full ammo and health throughout the entire game and it wasn't very much of a challenge. The levels weren't quite newbie, some of them were very good in points but others are the Hexen equivalent of a 2nd or 3rd-try Doom map. The Ice one comes to mind. Plus anybody knows there can't be 4 hearts of D'Sparil...

AndrewB said:

Oh, and if you're not too lazy, drop some comments here. :-b

Yes, it seems to be a piece of real quality. I have started it, but since I use to play Hexen in real stereoscopic 3D on my "Cybermaxx" VR-helmet I can play only half an hour a day because I want to avoid heavy headache and eyestrain (the Mac-version of Hexen supports real 3D, the PC-version not - funny, because a special Mac-Version of the Cybermaxx was never released, only promised - I had to solder an adapter myself).

I will buy some aspirin and continue.