Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter Heinemann

doom poster for download - king size :)

Hello,
I have finished the work on the reconstruction of the "big red demon face poster" hanging at id headquarter.

After uploading the file to someone´s website, I am looking for a permanent host for the file. He does not have the needed large bandwidth, for this reason I don´t want to link to the file directly. Well, no free web storage service allows files of that size...

The only link I want to give now is to a preview of the poster and how it looks at id (I think you all know it).

http://people.freenet.de/flammberg/demon_poster

The poster is 27,573 x 41,34 inch, has a resolution of 150dpi, RGB Tiff- Format and makes 75MB. I put it into a zip archive and now we are talking about a 25MB .zip file.

I also tried to save it png, but the resulting file is also 25MB, same size when saving it as tiff and then zipping it.

Jpeg at good compressing/quality setting makes a far bigger file, so I guess my choice was the best.

If anyone who has a wide bandwidth would like to host it so everyone here can download the poster, please contact me.

peter_heinemann@01019freenet.de

Thanks
PeterH

i know it is, i just view its potd sometimes, check out everybody else's awesome-looking computers and site screenies....and compared to the look of my crappy computer ¬_o

Forgotten this:

I took the Doom logo tag from another original poster, to give the poster some sharpness. The Doom logo on the file is as sharp as a razor blade in your mouth or trousers :). The Demon may look somewhat blurry, because it was scaled up from the gamebox (on which it appears also blurry), but after all that filtering and retouching, it really looks (my opinion) suitable for a very nice printout in that size. Just try it with a little part of the entire poster, you will see. The people at the printshop can still fiddle with the red colour, I guess matching the original red will be only of importance as long as (if) you have the original poster hanging beneath the reconstruction.

But if you still live with your parents - tell your mom or your little sister about the poster before you hang it in your room...

Peter Heinemann said:

Forgotten this:

I took the Doom logo tag from another original poster, to give the poster some sharpness. The Doom logo on the file is as sharp as a razor blade in your mouth or trousers :). The Demon may look somewhat blurry, because it was scaled up from the gamebox (on which it appears also blurry), but after all that filtering and retouching, it really looks (my opinion) suitable for a very nice printout in that size. Just try it with a little part of the entire poster, you will see. The people at the printshop can still fiddle with the red colour, I guess matching the original red will be only of importance as long as (if) you have the original poster hanging beneath the reconstruction.

But if you still live with your parents - tell your mom or your little sister about the poster before you hang it in your room...

Dude, you should make the logo darker...

Well, I would but I'm already wasted a lot of my bandwith on the Kevin Smith movies and I'm gonna be hosting that DM server on weekends, maybe somedays during the week I'll host GothicDM.

bigbadgangsta said:

Dude, you should make the logo darker...

Well, that´s just on the preview... and images often turn out darker in printout, so this will be good anyway. I just checked the big file. Not too dark.
:)

Someone could make a brinkster account. They let you get 30 mb (unforutanetely you can't directly link to it but what the hey)

Peter Heinemann said:

After uploading the file to someone´s website, I am looking for a permanent host for the file. He does not have the needed large bandwidth, for this reason I don´t want to link to the file directly. Well, no free web storage service allows files of that size...

I can host it at my Uni. They're on a lan connection.

Yeah, I wish I had a huge printer too. I could probably find a printshot around here.

My favorite DOOM poster would probably be the DOOM II titlepic. Now THAT's art :)

Planetquake = good

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh wait, you were serious?

fraggle said:

I can host it at my Uni. They're on a lan connection.

Wow, that´s supercool, fraggle! I will contact you, either by e-mail or we talk on irc. Thank you in advance!

oblivion said:

how much do you think it would cost for me to get this printed?

Well, I guess around $50.00... you could ask for a special student discount price, just tell them you are going to do a homework about "violent computer games and their evil impact on children", maybe they will support you :)

But ask for a trial print of a smaller area before you order the full size poster. Maybe they will have to adjust the colour for a nice bright red.

(I tried other colours and it looks also good in green and organge, even pink is interesting :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh wait, you were serious?

I don't see what's wrong with it.

Doom II Guy said:

I don't see what's wrong with it.

I do. Quake. QUAKE RLZ! LOLOLOLOLolOLOloLOLoloLOL! Right? No. Quake isn't fun at all and has more brown than shit.

Quake = cool but dull. A bit like me, then.

That Ultimate Doom poster looks hella cool. Be sure not to waste resolution, though. Like those 8000x6000 NASA pictures that wouldn't lose any detail if downsized to 800x600.