Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

The most st00pid question anybody can ever ask!

I know I may sound very stupid, but how do I run WADs?

It says to go to the folder that the file is in. I do that. I open the folder in a new Explorer Window. The README.txt then says to type "doom2 -file rashz.WAD" or whatever. Whenever I type "doom2 -file rashz.WAD", all that happens is I see "doom2.exe" highlighted like I single-clicked on it. I don't get it.

:(

You have to run a command line. In Windows go to Start, Run, browse for Doom2.exe then you should see *directory*\Doom2.exe, then add -file *nameofwad*.wad. So it should look like this *directory of Doom 2*\Doom2.exe -file *nameofwad*.wad

you have to do it this way:

"doom2.exe" -file blah.wad

alternatively you should use a sourceport cuz they enable OpenGl and stuff. I recommend Jdoom. It has stunning visuals
:)

An easier way is to rightclick Doom2.exe, select "send to desktop (create shortcut)" then right click on the shortcut and go to "target" which will show where Doom2.exe resides. Then you add the wad you want with -file blah.wad and then doubleclick and play it. I did this so I have shortcuts to all my games or favorite TCs.

EvisceratoR said:

But again, use a sourceport. Go here:
[LINK]http://www.doomsdayhq.com/[/LINK]

This one is my favorite

You must mean doomsdayhq.com right?

gatewatcher said:

Just find doom 95 and use that. :)

Doom 95 BLOWS THE FATTEST XXX HARDCORE COCK around. It isn't worthy of being on ANYONE'S HD at all.

bigbadgangsta said:

Doom 95 BLOWS THE FATTEST XXX HARDCORE COCK around. It isn't worthy of being on ANYONE'S HD at all.

why is that. if you aren't making the wads, editing, etc., doom 95 is fine. all it does is run wads. thats it. thats all this kid is looking for. case closed.

gatewatcher said:

why is that. if you aren't making the wads, editing, etc., doom 95 is fine. all it does is run wads. thats it. thats all this kid is looking for. case closed.

Doom95 really does suck, realize that.

the case ain't closed. This guy needs a proper Doom experience. He won't get that in vanilla doom or some other crummy thingy

I'm fine. I'll just run the WADs under DoomII, the one I got from the store. My OS is Windows 98, blows pretty hard, will that make a difference?

deldelda said:

I'm fine. I'll just run the WADs under DoomII, the one I got from the store. My OS is Windows 98, blows pretty hard, will that make a difference?

the wads hafta use the doom2 engine then. you can't run a doom wad in doom2. ;)

are you being sarcasmic? or sarcastic, whatever. I mean, do you say the quality sucks or is it literally impossible?

I noticed the ;) at the end of your post, signifying you are exaggerating, but you might be right! :o

PROB! When I start it up, this is what I type:

C:\DOOM2\Doom2.exe -file Eternal.wad

but when the game starts up, it just loads the normal, doom2. Why doesn't it load up eternal.wad?

gatewatcher said:

BBG, instead of just saying it sucks, try explaining why.

It's only been explained about 4,000 times, so there's no need to reexplain established facts.

You might have to add -devparm to the end of that e.g.
c:\doom\doom2.exe -file eternal.wad -devparm

Make sure that you've got eternal.wad in the same directory as doom2.exe

I presume you have the eternal wad in the Doom2 folder? It should work. Oh hang on does Eternal require an advanced port? I forget, sorry.

As a sort of Doom veteran purist I was reluctant to play with a sourceport for many years. Lasy year however I made the switch to ZDoom and haven't looked back since. It's very easy to use, especially from the command line.

Download it, see how it goes with pwads. You can also load other file types such as .dehs as well. If you have AIM, contact me, my handle is pr1tch, if you have any problems.

One final thing, in future if you have a question please post it in the questions forum. Thanks!

BBG, instead of just saying it sucks, try explaining why.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

[rant]

NEVERMIND, it's OK now. Sorry, the caps lock was on. no kidding!

Thanks, I've got Eternal.WAD running! It took me 20 min.s to beat lv. 1. DANG! I'm stuck on lv. 2. These levels are hard!

Pick up Eternal Doom 3 @ TeamTnT.com! great wad.

too bad it's 50MB.

[/rant]

right click on a wad and see if you have the option to "open with", if you do select "other", navigate to doom2.exe select that, check box "always use this program to open file", now whenever you double click a wad , it opens in Doom2 (zdoomers would select zdoom.exe instead of doom2.exe)

I'm new to the online Doom world, but I've been playing Doom for a few years now. Tell me, what is ZDoom?

Zdoom is one of the many program that let you play doom with enhance capability such as graphic, scripts, jumping, free look, console, etc... if you're looking for zdoom get 1.23 beta33 (newest one), get it right here

deldelda said:

I'm new to the online Doom world, but I've been playing Doom for a few years now. Tell me, what is ZDoom?

There are many source ports you can use to enhance Doom. The popular ones are Zdoom EDGE Vavoom Legacy JDoom PrBoom Zdaemon which is for Deathmatch The Doom Connector which lets you play against people using many source ports and King Doom Frontend to manage all these ports. Sorry, but the King Doom's original URL is down for some odd reason at the moment, so I had to use the Doom Depot URL.

Thanks alot! But for now I'll be fine with my ol' Doom2.

BTW I was one of the Five Great Spammaz at my old boards, which I still visit!

Ikni, Bungle, me, Dave, and gh3y. gh3y was on my ignore list because he spammed too much.

EvisceratoR said:

But again, use a sourceport. Go here:
[LINK]http://www.doomsdayhq.com/[/LINK]

This one is my favorite

I think you mean this. It's not [LINK][/LINK], it's .

DooMBoy said:

I think you mean this. It's not [LINK][/LINK], it's [*URL][*/URL].

yes. and maybe those stars could help. other wise, it just appears as nothing. They cancel each other out, like -1 and 1.