Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

DooM 3 level editor

Do you think they will include a level editor with doom 3, and how will the design of it be. I really hope, it will have a design like WC (WorldCraft, level editor from half-life) because I really like WC. Easy to use. heh.

TorntheDark said:

Do you think they will include a level editor with doom 3, and how will the design of it be. I really hope, it will have a design like WC (WorldCraft, level editor from half-life) because I really like WC. Easy to use. heh.

yes it will. the guy that made the q3 level editor built one into doom3.

It has been stated countless times already that the modding tools, including the level editor, will be included in Doom 3, so yes, there will be a Doom 3 lvel editor, no, it will not be like Worldcraft.
iD has stated that you will be able to edit a level in real time.

bigbadgangsta said:

Won't it be a lot harder to map for Doom 3 than for Quake 3?

It will requier more time and skills, yes. The basic way of creating won't change, though.

GS-1719 said:

I hated Worldcraft. Radiant is the slickest editor and is much easier to use.

I don't like WC either. I use Gkt Radiant. You?

Yes, the Doom editor will be exactly like GTKRadiant (with a few extra features, like flipping normals in the editor). You can see Tim Willits and Mal Blackwell working with it in the Doom III: The Legacy movie.

Shaviro said:

It will requier more time and skills, yes. The basic way of creating won't change, though.

No, Doom3 wont have a much complexer levelgemotrie than quake3.
The shaders will do the most work. Nearly every surface in doom3 uses bumpmapping wich gives the detailed look.

If you look at this picture you can see it.
http://www.doomworld.com/php/screenie.php?dir=/e32k2_stills/
The door in the backround is complete flat, the cool detailed look is generated by bumpmapping and the pipes too, as you can see the pipes have only 8 sides.

WC is easier for the newbie than the radiant but i preffer the radiant, its much more powerfull.

Burzum said:

No, Doom3 wont have a much complexer levelgemotrie than quake3.
The shaders will do the most work. Nearly every surface in doom3 uses bumpmapping wich gives the detailed look.

Look at the pipes in the background for instance. You won't find that kind of detail in Quake 3. DOOM3 has MANY times more complex levelgeometri than Quake 3. It's one of the reasons it looks so good.

http://www.doom3.dk/screenshots/ss22.jpg

That is not all made with bumpmapping. Look at the box in the background.

Yeah, I do like how id are pushing the hugely detailed scenes, yet they don't waste too much polies doing so. Like in the Bathroom scene, they've got urinals with several hundred polies, yet the big wall on the right is still just one polygon with a nice bumpmapped tile texture on it.

a wall is made of two polygons

another post that should be in technology

hmm, okay. But I hope the editor will be easy to use.

Lord FlatHead said:

Well you can see for yourself. Assuming the functionality of Q3Radiant has stayed mostly the same (very likely), you can get some practice making maps for Quake 2 or 3 using the latest version of GTKRadiant.

GKT Radiant is great. Easy to use and very practical, imo.

Shaviro said:

GKT Radiant is great. Easy to use and very practical, imo.

I agree. Not exactly newbie-friendly but that's a feature you only need for about a couple of days. It's way too overrated imo :)

The best thing with Doom3 is that it will not care weather the brushes are convex or concave, something I always hated with Quake engine games.

Personally, I don't think 3d editing is any harder than doom editing. actually I find it easier.. probaly cause I've been doing that longer though.

Some editing features are incorporated inside the game, for instance you can play the game and drop a sound event in a corner and it will be added to the level...

kristus said:

The best thing with Doom3 is that it will not care weather the brushes are convex or concave, something I always hated with Quake engine games.

Personally, I don't think 3d editing is any harder than doom editing. actually I find it easier.. probaly cause I've been doing that longer though.

I find Quake 3 a lot easier to edit than DOOM.

RailGunner said:

nah. it's hard to edit with 3d only editors.

I find that disturbing.

necron99 said:

Any word on what the poly count on models in doom 3? How the animation system will work? - # of frames for anims, etc?? What about texture size. I would like to start building models and textures now...

2000 up to 6000 polys at 24 hz.

Lord FlatHead said:

Where'd you hear that ?

It's obvious. That was a limitation strictly imposed by the VIS/RAD calculations. Besides you can import super crazy meshes from any 3D package. Last thing you want is that moving machinery to be split into lots of simple little convex brushes. Way too much stenciled (yet useless) shadows.

Besides all the "models" (as in enemies and items) is concave as hell.

Heh, it's weird, this unified lighting engine really does remove the model/brush line. You could make the entire level in MAX. In fact, you could even scale an enemy 100x, invert the normals and use it's interior as a single level while the friggin thing loads its walk animation. That flexible this new engine is.

you could even scale an enemy 100x, invert the normals and use it's interior as a single level while the friggin thing loads its walk animation.

thats creepy

Zaldron said:

In fact, you could even scale an enemy 100x, invert the normals and use it's interior as a single level while the friggin thing loads its walk animation. That flexible this new engine is.

...That sounds very cool.

I find editing Doom a lot easier than editing in 3D. I get along with worldcraft nicely, but I disliked Q3Radiant when I tried it. It seemed to have an ass-backwards way of doing the simplest things like moving a brush.