Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DoomSource

PPL LETS MAKE DOOMSTER for trading DOOM Stuff

Guest DoomSource

Would someone build based on NAPSTER or anyother soft... some kind of NAPSTER trading soft but for doom related material ?

Sharing WADS, Utils, Soft would be great this way... NO more FTP.CDROM.COM (PS: i hate it)

dont tell me that you wouldnt preffer having something like NAPSTER just for
doom stuff ?

SHARRING your work with THOUSANDS of other doom fans... no more
FTP.CDROM.COM, its a free world out there

All doom stuff organized by:

- Kind of data (wads, sounds, utils, exe, etc)
- Kind of wads (single, multi, etc)
- Game (doom1, ultimate doom, doom2, final doom)
- Size of files
- Kind of utils (level, sound, graphics)

THAT would be a DREAM came true, but i dont have that much wisdow to program such a soft

PLEASE spread the world we NEED..... DOOMSTER :)

gnutella sucks as wads are concerned :( and ITS ILEGAL !!!

DOOMSTER WOULD NOT BE, wads are free NOT COPYRIGHTED

:)
Please take this idea SERIOUSLY :)

Guest ChriS

Sounds like a great idea. Try using Napster's source or something, get a server and post it :)

ChriS said:

Sounds like a great idea. Try using Napster's source or something, get a server and post it :)

I don't. Firstly Napster's source isn't freely available because their belief in freedom of information doesn't extend to their own property. Secondly, what on earth is wrong with cdrom.com and its mirrors? you upload your level and its sent to another 12 or so ultra-high speed computers that night where hundreds of people can download without any restrictions at all. You are also free to download any other level without worry about who its from, will the connection last, etc. And you can choose a computer which is geographically close to you.

Guest PainoMan

cdrom.com has been the home of user created Doom files ever since the game began. Without it there would be chaos.

For some reason, which I am still trying to discover. They have closed the Quake sections to new uploads. As far as I'm concerned, I will not be gathering any more Quake stuff. Now everything made for the Quakes will be all over everywhere, with no central location to find what you need. Bye bye Quakes!

If you create something for Doom and if you want anyone to see it, then you put it up on cdrom.com, period.

I agree. While cdrom.com is great, and has been the main source of Doom-related files for the Doom community for years, there's just one problem: There is no way to sort through all the piles of crap to find any good levels. I know some sites have WAD reviews, but they can't ever possibly cover every single WAD ever uploaded to cdrom.com. What I think we really need is some way to sort through all the levels using different criteria. I think it would be cool to have a program that would let you sort the thousands of WADs by name, date uploaded, size, number of levels, theme, whether it contains new music, ect. That would really help out in the search for good levels.

geekmarine said:

...just one problem: There is no way to sort through all the piles of crap to find any good levels. I know some sites have WAD reviews, but they can't ever possibly cover every single WAD ever uploa

The only way to get an idea whether a level is good is to a) recognise the author's name, or b) read a review. None of the criteria you list help you decide whether a level is any good.

The only useful extension to cdrom.com that I can imagine would be an index by author. Although a google advanced search restricted to sunsite.org.uk is not too bad as a substitute. It's a pity that, even for WADs that use the wad authoring template, it would not be easy to generate an author index automatically.

geekmarine said:

I agree. While cdrom.com is great, and has been the main source of Doom-related files for the Doom community for years, there's just one problem: There is no way to sort through all the piles of crap to find any good levels. I know some sites have WAD reviews, but they can't ever possibly cover every single WAD ever uploaded to cdrom.com. What I think we really need is some way to sort through all the levels using different criteria. I think it would be cool to have a program that would let you sort the thousands of WADs by name, date uploaded, size, number of levels, theme, whether it contains new music, ect. That would really help out in the search for good levels.

If you only play levels by authors that you know, you'll never try anything new! I like cdrom.com for the fact that you just get the new WADs, and if it's good, keep it, and if it's bad, delete it.

Organization:
*Mods
-type
-guns
-monsters
-deh only
-misc
-sounds
-music
-theme
-gothic
-grunge
-futuristic
-mideval
-ancient
-modern
-war
-size
-ultra small (<20k)
-moderate (20k - 500k)
-large (500k+)
*Tools
-map editing
-wad editing
-exe editing
-misc editing
-port specific tools
*Demos
-categories
-fun
-record setting
-multiplayer
-coop
-2 to 4 player
-4+ player
-deathmatch
-2 to 4 player
-4+ player
*Maps
-size
-ultra small (>20k)
-moderate (20k - 200k)
-large (200k - 800k)
-huge (800k+)
-deathmatch
-arenas
-bug hunts
-racing
-complexes
-themes
-gothic
-grunge
-futuristic
-mideval
-ancient
-modern
-war
-port specific
*TCs
-theme
-gothic
-grunge
-futuristic
-mideval
-ancient
-modern
-war
-compexity
-concept focus
-weaponry
-maps
-deathmatch
-monsters
-port specific

...These are just the varibles to consider, not the actual directory tree. When someone goes to post a file a dialog box should come up asking what keywords to assign to it (based on the above) so that it aids with searching.
Wouldn't be bad to have it automaticially assign a spot for the file based upon those variables either (also tells you where it went).

I also assume that if it were made, it would ahve gigs of online stuff on it (someone would have to dedicate a server or webspace or something)

Guest ultra the vampire
Jon said:

I don't. Firstly Napster's source isn't freely available because their belief in freedom of information doesn't extend to their own property. Secondly, what on earth is wrong with cdrom.com and its mirrors? you upload your level and its sent to another 12 or so ultra-high speed computers that night where hundreds of people can download without any restrictions at all. You are also free to download any other level without worry about who its from, will the connection last, etc. And you can choose a computer which is geographically close to you.

this idea sounds good at first, but it is kinda bad.
you want people to see your wad's?ok, but it there ws doomster you would need to find that one person that created that wad, and get it from them and people can hack and end viruses and stuff like that, that also there's the fact that some people are lazy when it comes to programming and there would have to bug fixes and stuff like that,it would take to long.

i have a better idea. my site (fangamesforever.com) is opening soon, i could add the wads slowly from the ftp to my site, complete with pics of the levels and reviews, that way everyone could get the levels whenever they wanted.
i just need some reviewers and screenshot takers to help me, and maybe even some people who know CGI. (so i can make it eaiser to add new wads)
if you wanna help reply here.