Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Is level detail an issue?

Throughout this forum, I`ve noticed a few newbie editors, like myself, wanting opinions on how their levels are, but have just been told they`re amateurish. All I can notice is the main real difference is the so-called `Professional` looking WADs usually have a lot of detail.

Is this really an issue? Can we not just concentrate first on the important thing -- the way the level plays?

I mean, what with the source ports not being as limited as Doom in this regard, it IS nice to have the option, but surely a newbie editor can`t be flamed just because his levels lack detail. It can always be added later.

And, a detailed but sucky level will probably always suck. A non-detailed but excellent level can always have more details added, surely?

Thanks for your time.

I think everybody's played good levels by now. A lot of people want to see what can be done with the engine and what limits can be pushed, more than play a well laid-out level for the 40,000th time.

That isn't to say level layout should be sacrificed for detail, but you really need a good balance of both to give a unique experience.

Guest Fanatic

You basically have two audiences with an add-on, whether it's a single level or a TC -yourself, and the world.

If you want to make a level for yourself, make what you like, but don't be dissapointed if everyone dislikes your work.

If you want to make a level for the world, you gotta keep in mind that there are thousands of levels over the past 6+ years DOOM has been around. People want to see new stuff, a combination of well laid out design, new textures (always a plus), and detail.

When I see the weekly summary of the newstuff directory at CDROM.COM here at DOOM World, I won't download a level unless Andrew notes it has good detail. I've seen hundreds of 'well designed' maps, I want to see detailed maps too (like Tunnel Run, a very awesome level).

There's a lot of other stuff that can make a level look better than just lots of detail.

Texture usage
-------------

Should define a theme for the level, e.g. base, techno, industrial, city (modern/futuristic), gothic, roman, egyptian, aztec, hellish, natural, etc.

Even then you need to decide where something is set. Is your base level on the moon, on an asteroid, on a spaceship or space station? Is your gothic level set on Earth or some other planet?

Of course, you can have techno or industrial areas in a city map, and natural areas in pretty much any map if you want and so on, but try not to mix too many different themes in one level, unless you want some kind of surreal look (which rarely works).

Texture alignment
-----------------

Try to make your textures match each other. It's more obvious when some textures are misaligned than others, but generally it makes your level look a lot nicer. Unless you're using an editor with an automatic alignment tool (e.g. DeeP), load up Calc in Windows or use a real calculator to figure it out (personally I can do it my head, but then I'm a maths god =p)

Even more important is floor textures. I can't begin to tell you how crap a misaligned light or teleporter looks.

Lighting
--------

This can really help define an atmosphere for your level. Most levels seem to have a default light level of 144/160, which is not too dark and not too bright. Use light fixtures, sky, shadowed areas, etc to make things look more interesting.

Enemy/weapon/power-up placement
-------------------------------

This is pretty hard to do even for the best editors. Basically, you'll just have to keep playing until you find a good balance. Try to find a couple of other people to play through your level before releasing it, especially if you suck at playing (you'll tend to have too much ammo and too few enemies) or if you're a Doom god (you'll tend to have too little ammo and too many enemies).

In general, unless you have a really cool idea for something, try to complete the basic layout and item placement for your level and THEN add all the little details.

Guest Fanatic

That is what I think we all meant when stating 'detail'. Everything you mention is just that. :)

I always assumed detail referred to the amount of linedefs and sectors you have in each room rather than item layout, but what the hell =p

NiGHTMARE said:

Thanks a lot.

It seems I get the wrong defention when comments like ' you could wouk on your level detail ' are used.

Of all the things you mentioned there`s only the texture alignment that I don`t quite `get`.

And I definitely see your point about teleporters. And they are a pain in the posterior with some editors (WADED) because you have to move them around to get the FLAT aligned correctly.

As for lighting, again around 144-160-ish is best. I`ve seen far TOO MANY levels that look so damned light, all atmosphere that could have been is non existent.

I originally posted out of worry really, being new to editing, I thought that my somewhat plain (To me) levels just wouldn`t make the grade.

I was a little too nervy to even upload them anywhere! (Pointless, I know, but the No.1 reason for me both playing and editing Doom2 is my OWN enjoyment. Which is already sorted)

Maybe I should ask some people here to try them. At worst, I`ll get labelled in some `hall of shame`. At best, some dude could ask me to design for their TC/Mod!!!

Guest spacedog
Lüt said:

I think everybody's played good levels by now. A lot of people want to see what can be done with the engine and what limits can be pushed, more than play a well laid-out level for the 40,000th time.

That isn't to say level layout should be sacrificed for detail, but you really need a good balance of both to give a unique experience.

I like a lot of detail, but then again i am a nut so. as long as your textures are aligned properly and your lighting is half decent then that's alright