Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

Doom legacy or Zdoom.

What do you all like better, Doom legacy or Zdoom. I thought legacy was ok, it had nice graphics to support it, but zdoom is the most orgnial, like something Id software would have done. Plus zdoom comes with 12 bots. But legacy has a better menu system, and better sprites.

Guest kristus

Better sprites?

Care to explain further?

Personally I prefer Legacy better. It has all that I want in a source port. Splitscreen, Scripts(not in official version yet), 3d floors(not in official version yet), OpenGL, etc etc.

I don't think zDoom is very original. It have ACS scripts from Hexen and stuff. But it's pretty regular things. EDGE is original. It use a different rendering system got 3d floors DDF RTS etc.
BTW zDooms bots is crap. Want bots use SkullTag.

I haven't played much of ZDooM, so you may not trust my opinion that much, but I prefer Legacy.

I suppose this is a good time to add a shameless plug about my site, The Epidermis Emporium, because the skins on the site work for both Legacy and ZDooM. I should also point out that Legacy was the first of the two to use skins. The address for the Emporium is in my signature below.

Ebola said:

Better sprites?

Care to explain further?

Personally I prefer Legacy better. It has all that I want in a source port. Splitscreen, Scripts(not in official version yet), 3d floors(not in official version yet), OpenGL, etc etc.

I don't think zDoom is very original. It have ACS scripts from Hexen and stuff. But it's pretty regular things. EDGE is original. It use a different rendering system got 3d floors DDF RTS etc.
BTW zDooms bots is crap. Want bots use SkullTag.

I mean like the smoke trails, blood on the wall (bullet holes, ect..) And things left behind. ZDoom does not have some of them things, but I like the way it tells you that you found a secret.

Boingo said:

I haven't played much of ZDooM, so you may not trust my opinion that much, but I prefer Legacy.

I suppose this is a good time to add a shameless plug about my site, The Epidermis Emporium, because the skins on the site work for both Legacy and ZDooM. I should also point out that Legacy was the first of the two to use skins. The address for the Emporium is in my signature below.

I thought Doom Legacy came out before ZDooM.

I like legacy because it is the only port that supports my Gravis controller that has a playstation layout. I got used to playing doom on playstation and didn't want to change for the pc.
Actually DoomII and Final Doom can use it too, but not all the buttons

Perforator said:

I thought Doom Legacy came out before ZDooM.

Yes. Legacy was first. It was also the first port to implement skins, which I like to mention, because I run a skin site.

Legacy is also extremely stable. Code stability is always the top priority of the Legacy team. They often postpone adding features to Legacy until they are certain that everything is working properly.

Perforator said:

I mean like the smoke trails, blood on the wall (bullet holes, ect..) And things left behind. ZDoom does not have some of them things, but I like the way it tells you that you found a secret.

Agreed. I much prefer Legacy's smoke trails to ZDooM's sparkler effect. Wall dammage is great. We often use our plasma guns to "spray paint" grafitti on the walls by mouse aiming. Covering the walls with blood is a lot of fun too. Of course, to many wall splats can slow the game down, so you are able to turn them off if you like.

Guest cybersquirrel

From what everyone else said, this is gonna get me flamed, but I played legacy and thought it sucked. It seemed to be trying to turn Doom into Quake, when we all no which one's better. Is ZDoom really worth giving a go then?

i love using legacy for all my single player games. I've tried multi a few times with it and things sucked a butt. i hate zdoom for single, but since csdoom is around, zdoom is kick ass for multi. I like legacy graphics and gameplay best. I agree with the person who said it was very stable. Very nice.... why not get both?

boris said:

Heh, I always though the sprites would be in the IWAD. Weird.

No, I think some of the ports actually take them out for a walk.
I especially like what Vavoom do - it looks like they wack 'em with a hammer until they're nice and flat ...like cardboard cutouts ;)

Boingo said:

Code stability is always the top priority of the Legacy team. They often postpone adding features to Legacy until they are certain that everything is working properly.

Oh boy, do you have a short memory!
It wasn't that long ago that Legacy choked on virtually every wad that contained anything other than just a wad and sounds, while Boom and derivatives (PrBoom, MBF, SMMU, etc.)
were 100% stable. The latest version doesn't crash on me continually, but it's still got lots of annoying aethetic bugs that never get fixed.

I bet the next version has a whole pile of new bugs and instabilities related to the new features.

Interestingly, my latest offering to cdrom.com is station3.zip and the only source ports which had any problems were Legacy and ZDoom, all the above mentioned ports worked fine.

Guest THuRIsAZ
Sparky said:

No, I think some of the ports actually take them out for a walk.
I especially like what Vavoom do - it looks like they wack 'em with a hammer until they're nice and flat ...like cardboard cutouts ;)

I like DL, I also like 'spraypainting', and wall damage.. one time i covered a whole wall with my plasma rifle and it got all choppy because of having too many sprites (you can use this to your advantage in a multi but consider it cheating). But i like blood and guts the best, any horror freak that loves playing doom would right? the only thing id say that might have room for improvement is more blood, and maybie some gib sprites along with them (guts sticking to walls would be awesome) but maybie this is going too far?