Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lament

Empty levels

Guest Lament

Are there any single-player levels with no monsters? Or, maybe, with monsters that don't attack you.

Why?, you can just type -nomonster when you launch the wad.
Or if you really want, just take them out with an editor.
Or launch a -DEH file that makes all monsters not attack you,
you can even make it so that they don't move either.

I think he may mean single player levels that were actually designed to be played without monsters. It's a strange notion, but it actually has been done! Notably in two of the best wads ever made. Aliens TC and Chris Lutz's Inferno.

Guest Lament
Malice Rancor said:

Why?, you can just type -nomonster when you launch the wad.
Or if you really want, just take them out with an editor.
Or launch a -DEH file that makes all monsters not attack you,
you can even make it so that they don't move either.

No, I mean levels, for whatever reason _intentionally designed_ to have no monsters in them. Sick as it may sound.

In answer to the SECOND part of your question (monsters which don't attack), have a look at ars_sml.zip

You'll need to run the wad through BSP (-noreject) to get rid of the wicked HOM. If you don't use -noreject then you'll clobber the existing reject map which stops the monsters from attacking you.

I'm pretty sure it in the Adults-only area of
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/themes/

Lament said:

No, I mean levels, for whatever reason _intentionally designed_ to have no monsters in them. Sick as it may sound.

I do. I haven't released it yet. It's this really weird Doom1 map (episode 3-style) that I made out of a Doom dream I had one night. It's purposely got weird tricks and traps and secrets and stuff. It's one of those things you can kinda get lost in (at least for me, I dunno how many other people would care for it.)

Stphrz said:

I think he may mean single player levels that were actually designed to be played without monsters. It's a strange notion, but it actually has been done! Notably in two of the best wads ever made. Aliens TC and Chris Lutz's Inferno.

...and one of the worst ever made
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/graphics/bgallrys.zip

Guest Lament

Umm..heh. :-\ ars_sml is definitely weird :)
But these two are multiplayer levels (if levels at all :)) What i meant is a _playable_ single-player level w/o monsters.
I want to write one myself actually, so I was wondering what have been done before me :)