Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paul87

Does anyone try to play DooM stealthily?

After playing project IGI on my P.C i decided to have a go on DooM and i started to play it stealthily, sneaking round corners with the shotgun shooting someone then returning to my hiding postition etc.
I then kept going until i came up to a room full of cacodemons so i just thought to myself fcuk it and pulled out the good ol' chaingun and killed the bastards.

Has anyone else tryed to play it stealthily?

P.S I'm new

I adopt that tactic if it's a real bastard of a tough map. One enemy at a time if possible. Try and wake up as few monsters as possible if their deaf tag is set, if not trying to make them fight off each other.

Hmm, someone should make a map full sound-blocking linedefs where the goal is to get to the end of the level without being seen or heard by any monsters. Cause I sure as hell won't.

Bah. Doom is Rampage.

The sound blocking linedef is retarded, works very poorly. If there's a open passage to the monsters. the nosound flag won't applie. Just set the damn monster to deaf.

in school, i usually go to the bathroom the same time everyday, and noone else is there then, so i decided to be cool one day so i sidestepped in like the doomguy with my fakegun pointed outward, and i circle strafed right into this other guy

kristus said:

Bah. Doom is Rampage.

The sound blocking linedef is retarded, works very poorly. If there's a open passage to the monsters. the nosound flag won't applie. Just set the damn monster to deaf.

Sound blocking works great if you set two lines to block sound. It takes two lines to block completely.

That's certainly the case. (it even says so in WadAuthor's help file!)
But make sure all other possible routes that sound can travel are blocked as well, as it's easy to miss those long ones.

Pity it doesn't work with ZDooM's ambient sounds so you could block them in....that's one big problem with them.

I've tried playing Doom stealthily, and it's harder than fuck to do it. Nearly impossible, which is why whenever I try to be stealthy, I always use a big gun, like the Plasma Rifle or Rocket Launcher, in case I screw up.

Stealth is what I use mostly because I find that if I charge into a room, guns blazing, I end up dead (unless the map is very easy). But there's no greater feeling than battling through a huge group of enemies like Mancubi and Revenants using lots of crazy manuevers (sp?) and making it through alive.

Searcher said:

It takes two lines to block completely.

I ended out giving up with block sound lines in Doom Arcade (for some reason, couldn't find every line that needed block sound, it's a rather open map) so I set most of the monsters to deaf.

GooberMan said:

I ended out giving up with block sound lines in Doom Arcade (for some reason, couldn't find every line that needed block sound, it's a rather open map) so I set most of the monsters to deaf.

I've also had some problems with block sound. I always give up on it.

As most of your know, With the defult doom/doom2.exe, if you hide save your game and then load it agian, all the monsters forget about you (aside from any that are looking at you when you reload). when I was new to final doom, I did it all the time on the Plutonia eposode if things got to thick. I'm also getting into the cowardly habit of making a dash fo the exit on some of the harder wads out there.

Brave! Brave! Brave! Brave! Sir Red Pants!

Stealthily I've only really tried on Marines TC, well in theory, the gameplay revolves around shooting tatically and carefully, picking your enemy with the crosshair and diving into bunkers from enemy rampage, hiding amongst trees etc.
Probably why it's my favorite, I think a lot of "army/war style" wads are decent.
::slams fist to desk:: I want more..

I never, ever just open a door and run into the room. I open the door
and shoot off a shotgun blast to wake up whatever I can and let them
come to me; at least I won't be surrounded.

The MM level 'Showdown' (it was Map 23 or 24 or soemthing) was like
that. I hid in this little water tunnel thing while killing most of
the monsters towards the end.

Doom wasn't made to be played like that, so it's pretty hard.

Ya i like stealth i think i helps add that scarey sent to the game play. Plus i like to conserve ammo unless i have a clear shot or in an open area with a plazma rifle.

Na, I dont play stealthaly, I do try to get a high amount of accuracy though, so... But usually I shoot and everything in the level comes after me...

i only use the stealth method when health or ammo is low, other than that it's full speed ahead.

I do. Mainly because my dooming skills really aren't to be feared.

The monsters are incredibly stupid so I have made a sport out of attacking them from angles where they have no means of retaliating, like shooting cyberdemons with a shotgun through windows where only their head is visible.

if the sorce ports had the ability to make punchs soundless, i.e. punchs did not awake the monsters, then one could make levels that required stealth to win.

Sphagne said:

if the sorce ports had the ability to make punchs soundless, i.e. punchs did not awake the monsters, then one could make levels that required stealth to win.

EDGE does that.

Sphagne said:

heh. That's pretty stupid :)

paul87 said:
[...]i started to play it stealthily, sneaking round corners with the shotgun shooting someone then returning to my hiding postition etc.[...]
Has anyone else tryed to play it stealthily?

That's not stealth, that's just using the available cover. Strafe in and out of cover, always step out as little as possible and for as little time as possible. Of course, a good level doesn't give you easy cover to work with.

I usually just attack, fall back to a room where I can slaughter them if necessary, or if I'm in really big trouble, run away, grab some armour/health and return, then promptly get killed :p

I usually play stealthily. Sometimes I decide to go suicidal and do amazing things. In Alien Vendetta (with legacy) I jumped out the window and charged through into the acid fall and barely killed the arch-vile in time.