Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Word from the Programmer of the Source Port

The word from the coder is that he will be releasing the source code. However, this is not one of his priorities right now. What he is concerned about is the ability of players with access to the source to be able to put together an altered executable to allow the player to cheat. Eventually, he will release the code, but at this point in time he can't/won't.

I think people should give him a little more slack- after you've seen it in action I'm sure you'd agree.

yeh well whether it's great or not isn'nt really at issue, he should just be a good boy or release the source, if he doesn't he's just encouraging ppl to flame him. Now I haven't seen this source port, and I don't know the author very well, but he's pissed off a lo of ppl, and simply saying, "oh but it's a great port" doesn't change anything.

Fuck it all. rorDoom programmer isn't releasing his source until 1.0. Go flame him instead.

Actually, it is not his, or any other coders decision. The Doom source is covered under the GNU license which means that he HAS to release the source code. Period. Any project that uses the Doom source has to release the source code; just read the provisions. That is why Randy releases the source code for ZDoom. That is why the Doombot sources were released. Same for the Edge engine. rorDoom, SkullTag and other wil have to follow suit.

Now, does Carmack take this seriously? Remember the guy that didn't want to release his Quake mod source? I don't think I would want id's lawyers on my butt. :) I think it was big of John to do what he did. It's not too much to ask to follow the rules.