Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Swedish Fish

Edgy questions....

Hi all. I was at Tomi Rajala's site downloading the new bug-free version of Hell Factory when I decided to download another of his levels called "Helled" - a DOSDOOM level. Anyways, my port related question is this: Are DOSDOOM levels fully compatible with EDGE? If so, do they plan on keeping full support?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can download the original dosdoom .20 source (the source that is the base for many of these other ports)? I went to the dosdoom site a while ago (when frag com was up!) but there was no download link. Any ideas as to where else?

anthony

Guest Fanatic

DOS DOOM specefic levels are not compatible with EDGE.

They can, however, be updated to work with EDGE.

Backwards compatibility was not kept in order to make EDGE better and a lot less buggy.

Email me at home, I think I have the source for DOS DOOM .20 (I have whatever was left at the website). I'll see if I can find it for you.

marcpullen@mindspring.com

Guest c-d-w

I have a few questions for you..
Using ddf, how does one give a weapon a secondary attack?
There's a 'secondary attack' button, but how to you do it (what's the tag - ATTACK2, SPECIAL_ATTACK, or what..)?
I have very few example files to look at, none of which have alt-attacks.
Also, if I start making an EDGE thingy now, will I have to start over each time a new release comes out (like how much are the ddf files going to change when edge goes from alpha to beta, etc..)?
Does edge support boom levels? I can't remember if I heard that before or not..

Thanks
Oh, and a small request, how do I make the crosshair not flash?
--before some wise-ass tells me to turn it off, that isn't the answer I'm looking for... I still want a crosshair, but not one that's quite so annoying.. thanks

Guest Fanatic

I'll post a reply to the secondary weapon attacks when I get home, I need to dig up the docs I have there. :)

The other questions:

EDGE does not support BOOM levels, and probably will not. We have our own direction for our engine, so if you want to play BOOM levels, use BOOM. :)

The default crosshairs flash -can't change that. I'll put in a request to the coders to possibly give an option for flashing and non-flashing crosshairs, that bothered me too.

You may have to update your DDF and RTS files when we put out a new engine update, but we don't change the way things are done without a good reason. I've been through a few near complete rewrites of QDOOM due to major engine changes, and my DDF's and RTS are HUGE. It was for the better overall.

There's not a lot that we need to drastically change now. Anything that is changed, you will get good notice of, and usually rewrites are very quick and easy.

Guest c-d-w

Thanks.. I'm very anxious for the next release.. : )
About boom levels- I ask becasue I saw "boom's watermap" somewhere in the ddf files - my imagination must have run wild on me : )

Guest Fanatic

Yeah, we added one water entry to replicate what BOOM does, but I have defined some new line types for the next DDF release that will handle thick extrafloors and 3D liquids better than BOOM can anyway (IMO). :)

Anyway, here's what you need for a second weapon attack:

Add to an existing weapon (or newly defined weapon) the following:

SEC_AMMOTYPE=<type>;
SEC_AMMOPERSHOT=<number>;
SEC_AUTOMATIC=TRUE; // not required, but most weapons are automatic
STATES(SECATTACK)=<states>

NOTE: use SEC_SHOOT(<attackname>) to call for a second attack type

...and lastly:

STATES(SECFLASH)

...if you want them.

Hope that helps!

Fanatic said:

Yeah, we added one water entry to replicate what BOOM does, but I have defined some new line types for the next DDF release that will handle thick extrafloors and 3D liquids better than BOOM can anyway (IMO). :)

Anyway, here's what you need for a second weapon attack:

Add to an existing weapon (or newly defined weapon) the following:

SEC_AMMOTYPE=<type>;
SEC_AMMOPERSHOT=<number>;
SEC_AUTOMATIC=TRUE; // not required, but most weapons are automatic
STATES(SECATTACK)=<states>

NOTE: use SEC_SHOOT(<attackname>) to call for a second attack type

...and lastly:

STATES(SECFLASH)

...if you want them.

Hope that helps!

I have so many things I want in EDGE. For one, they said that there was an option to make bullet puffs not rise (I want to make a beam weapon). I was told it was in the last version of dosdoom (v.653) but I have that and the option is broken.
That brings another issue. I absolutely need a new attacktype! One that makes an instant beam, like tracing a path to target the way "shot" attacks do except with smoke puffs along the way (with a way to determine the distance between them and what kinda puff to use).

How would I go about suggesting this stuff?