Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
myk

ol' DOOM

Presently the most "prominent" port is zdoom, and edge may catch up when released. The two ports are very good engines, yet I feel something is missing. I think that a port WITHOUT z heights should still be supported and upgraded, allowing true DOOM (engine) play but adding special features. It seems Fraggle won't continue his work with smmu. I am going to see what I can do coding-wise, but I don't know much yet. What is needed is a port with full mbf support, I think. Such a port would do well in the future, when (and if) id's new DOOM comes out, as it would offer an alternative (maybe not as popular but certainly quite enjoyable) to that game. DOOM ports with many quake-like features, on the other hand, will make less sense (they will be overshadowed by the new game, probably). What I mean is something like: I haven't stopped playing chess just because they invented diplomacy o civilization (I mean the board and computer strategy games) - likewise DOOM and the new DOOM are different things. Keeping the original alive would be good, as it would offer some things the other will not (or will probably not); mainly accessible editing, a lightweight engine and fast gameplay. Don't you think so?

Guest Fanatic

EDGE supports Z settings, just like ZDOOM does (in a HeXen capable editor).

In EDGE, you have to use RTS to spawn things at a Z height.

Yes I think so! I still use the regular doom/doom2.exe or boom whenever possible!

Myk said:

...should still be supported and upgraded, allowing true DOOM (engine) play but adding special features.... What is needed is a port with full mbf support, I think.

This is the role PrBoom aims to fill. Look for a new release in a week or two.

Actually I thought every improvement in zdoom over doom2.exe was toggleable through various cvars and switches, atleast you'r able to toggle all the funn stuff off...

Guest Waldo

To each his own, I say. Personally, I still like to use the old 1.9 exe's - bugs/limits and all. I think it's part of what makes DooM... well, DooM. It really gives you that feeling like you're playing it for the first time all over again. On occasion, I'll use an old version of DosDooM (like 0.5) for 640x480 gameplay.