Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest orkface

PORT WARS UST BE STOPED

Guest orkface

Me and some of my buddy's were talking about it and it realy is kinda stoopid of people (legacy players and zdoomers and the others) to go around saying that certain ports suck I mean so mabey you had a bad experiance with zdoom or legacy that doesn't mean that the port is shit just that it's developing. I once played an extermly early version of legacy (I got it off a pcgamer cd) it crashed all the time but I like it so I still play legacy, I've had zdoom crash on me all the time but I don't mind. Csdoom has promted people to get the other ports to hurry up with the net code but csdoom is still faster so for online games I'll use that for deathmatch but for bot's and single player I'll use legacy because of it's graphics this doesn't mean I'm unfaithful just realistic. If you want good graphics play legacy, net speed csdoom and some new maps use zdoom, it all depends on your prefrences, hell use 'em all and get a complet experiance thats what I do

I still favor legacy but I dont think it's a reason to argue over I mean hell we all play doom still you'd think that would be enough to help us get along

orkface on his peace maker mission for god (genji)

Guest finnw

Hardly surprising seeing the huge number of ports out now.
IMO competition between coders is to blame. Loads of ports
have fallen behind. Their coders would probably do best to
join other projects rather than try to catch up.
Hey hang on, I'm one of them :-/
Maybe if a port has some unusual feature it could be worth
keeping going for a while. E.g. the client/server area could
do with more competition, with only one stable engine atm.

Finn

Yes, I totally agree with your statement. Those "Shit-talkers" are just negative. Every port has its pros and cons. Every Doomer should be happy if another dude is happy with his beloved port - even with a typewriter.

Yes, the war must stop !

Ehm, there different points to view at. Sometimes people just want to talk which features they like MOST of a port. Other's can't talk that way: There's alway a "my port is better than yours", or "my opinion is stronger than yours".
I'm tired of that, really.

Here's the solution:

All port developers sit down at on table, merge the whole stuff together and.......call it Doom3, that's it: only one port.

But, let me guess....then it goes like this:
On my system the port runs even better, coz your system sucks.

I promise, that will have NO end, not in this life.

Guest metzgermeister
finnw said:

Hardly surprising seeing the huge number of ports out now.
IMO competition between coders is to blame. Loads of ports
have fallen behind. Their coders would probably do best to
join other projects rather than try to catch up.
Hey hang on, I'm one of them :-/
Maybe if a port has some unusual feature it could be worth
keeping going for a while. E.g. the client/server area could
do with more competition, with only one stable engine atm.

Finn

IMO competition between coders is to blame that there are great ports out there with great features. No really - competition is a good thing (tm). And if there was no csDoom, all the coding teams wouldn't put dedicated server/client prediction on top of their list.
If we only had one doom3 port (which would be considerable effort to join the sources), new projects would split off anyway for features they don't see in this single port.

/Rob

YES!!!
Wars must stop.
All ports should join together (use EDGE for all it's good attributes, ZDOOM for it's , and so on...)
and make a new "Advanced Doom" game altogeter that has all the bugs worked out of it and has all the tools a TC or PC maker ever dreamed of!!!!

sirgalahadwizar said:

a new "Advanced Doom" game altogeter that has all the bugs worked out of it

Ugh... trust me, when you graft code from different codebases into each other you'll end up with a shitload of bugs.