Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stragen

Doomers choice...

Guest Stragen

Ive read many arguments in the favour of several different
source ports on these Doomworld Forums.
The one question I have is, Which is THE BEST
Doom source port to use, from the editors point of view?
Jdoom looks spectacular, but doesnt add anything extra to
level editing..
BOOM has many incredibly useful linedefs, but is a little
lacking in some areas.
EDGE has the much argued over Extrafloor feature, which
would add a new dimension to level editing.
ZDOOM has the well praised ACS, which can give a level
designer more freedom.
(Unfortunately it's been a while since Ive looked at the
ZDOOM homepage. The last time I downloaded a version of ZDOOM
it was rather.. unstable.)
What is The Doomers Choice?

As for people who dissaprove of source ports, if you dont like
them, dont bloody use them! These source ports allow those
who like the extra freedom to create to do what theyve always wanted to do with the doom engine..

Personally, I'd like to see the creators of these source
ports (including CSDOOM) to get together and create
a source port that includes all of the features, since it
is useless creating a level with Extrafloor's or scripting
if you cant play it over a decent CLIENT -> SERVER connection..
But I dont see THAT happening anytime soon..

As for my original query, if you the doomer saw a level for BOOM, EDGE, or ZDOOM.. which would you download .. ?

Just want to add something, zdoom is fully boom compatible and therefor csdoom and skulltag should be too, legacy is currently aiming to be boom compatible too.

However, as for editing, if you want to extensively edit monsters and weapons edge might be the best choice *however*, boom's bex addtion brings alot of editing possibilities too.

As for scripting, acs brings a whole new dimention for levels making them much more 'alive', note here though that skulltag adds even more nice acs commands *and* that the next version of zdoom will allow music changes via scripting (real ambient music...)

As for speed, i edge is really *slooow*, zdoom is alot faster (especially the beta's which use fmod), and boom should be about the fastest port.

My choice is zdoom (with the exeption when i play immoral conduct ddf version), cause I really like acs scripting and i think that .bex files still can give you the modifications you need.

Guest zyvgjc

Personally, I think ZDOOM is the best. This port adds tons of new linedef and sector functions using ACS scripts which overcomes the old limited DooM engine.

Legacy for Dos is my faforite one (I run it on a PC-emulation on my Mac). SMMU is very nice too, but there is a savegame-error in the actual version 3.21 and the developement seems to be discontinued (maybe I am wrong, but the last update was........long time ago). There was a very nice zoom function in this port. Well, I am looking forward for the upcoming Mac-version of Legacy.

If you play around a little in the console you can zoom in zdoom too :o) (instructions how at the zdoom forum, zdoom.notgod.com)

I think EDGE is the best, not because of the floors over floors crap... I could give a flying fuck less about that since I can't mapedit in the first place.

I like it because of all of it's *other* features including the "ddf" system which allows you to add things into the game without having to re-compile (just like adding another scentence to a letter). I myself like making new weapons and projectiles and things without having to replace any of the originals. And all the other features like translucency and stuff that other engines have adds that little pinch of spice to it.

As for speed, every thing runs smooth for me since I have a P333.
Then again, I always run at 320x200 so that may be why.
Damn, I have a P333, w/64mb of ram and no openGL support (no 3d accel), how much more ironic can you get.