Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amaster

TCount

Does anyone know where I could find a program called TCount? I tried searching myself but I could only find broken links.

While we're on the subject, how do you guys determine the number of monsters and ammount of ammo for your levels?

Assmaster said:

Does anyone know where I could find a program called TCount? I tried searching myself but I could only find broken links.

While we're on the subject, how do you guys determine the number of monsters and ammount of ammo for your levels?

deepsea statistics button

Assmaster said:

how do you guys determine the number of monsters and ammount of ammo for your levels?

I don't actually set a target for the number, I find it best to take each area of the level at a time and put in the amount that you think is best. (taking into account the geography of the area) Knowing how the creatures behave also helps. (ie. speed, attack method etc.)

For ammo, you need to know how much (of each ammo type) it takes to kill a certain type of creature (eg. 130 bullets or 18 shells or
6 rockets or 50 cells for a baron) and then balance it accordingly, but remember to include ammo dropped by zombies.

Health is a bit trickier though. That depends on knowing how much damage each monster can do, and the chances of you being hit by them and how much....it can be a guessing game until you actually play the level.

btw, if you're using WadAuthor you can count the number of things by going to the Statistics option, under the View menu.

Ultimate DooMer said:

btw, if you're using WadAuthor you can count the number of things by going to the Statistics option, under the View menu.

Just knowing the total number of things is not exactly useful - my bad:)

I once rewrote TCount for Rick Clark to work with ZDoom, but I can't find the zip anymore. Also, Rick used my program as a base to make a Windows version with VB or something. I think I'll mail him, maybe he still got both programs.

If you can not find t count and really want it I can zip my copy and email to you. Email me if you want it. 43 KB zipped, tiny little file. I have no clue where it is available these days on the net.

Play testing is the best way to find out if it is too easy or to hard.

Cool thanks! I'll be emailing you shortly. My email addy is pretty much my handle so you'll recognize it.

RailGunner said:

nope, 12 if your up close.

i just fired up jdoom, killed a baron in 13 shots, so i'll have to agree with you on this one that it can be done in 12 if luck is with you, but i'd say 14 would be a better number.

Assmaster said:

how do you guys determine the number of monsters and ammount of ammo for your levels?

Experiment mainly

oblivion said:

i just fired up jdoom, killed a baron in 13 shots, so i'll have to agree with you on this one that it can be done in 12 if luck is with you, but i'd say 14 would be a better number.

12 with SSG, I've only managed 14 with normal shotgun

GooberMan said:

12 with SSG, I've only managed 14 with normal shotgun

?? 6 shots (12 shells) with SSG is very easy, I usually get them in 5.

RailGunner said:

nope, 12 if your up close.

It depends. I was referring to shooting at middle-distance, using only a single shotgun. (it takes 12/14 with a super)

Ultimate DooMer said:

It depends. I was referring to shooting at middle-distance, using only a single shotgun. (it takes 12/14 with a super)

i still dont know how you people are coming up with 12/14 with a super, please enlighten me.

oblivion said:

i still dont know how you people are coming up with 12/14 with a super, please enlighten me.

We've been talking about shells, not actual shots. On average, you use 12 shells taking down a Baron with a SSG, the other part that isn't average is 14 shells or (in my experience) rarely 10 shells. I balance my maps out using 14 shells a Baron. I stick some health in, and if it isn't enough I add some, or if it's too much I take some out.

GooberMan said:

We've been talking about shells, not actual shots. On average, you use 12 shells taking down a Baron with a SSG, the other part that isn't average is 14 shells or (in my experience) rarely 10 shells. I balance my maps out using 14 shells a Baron. I stick some health in, and if it isn't enough I add some, or if it's too much I take some out.

no i know shells, but i take typically 10 to kill baron, rarely 12.