Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DemonFrog

DOOM for TI-91 calculators

Guest DemonFrog

I have heard that there is a doom port for a type of calculator. Need more info.

Please e-mail me about it if anyone knows about it because i would love to get my hands on a compy of this.

DemonFrog

Um, if I remember correctly I played it once. But the only thing it has in common with PC DooM is the name... It's really crap.

Guest DemonFrog

Thanks. I actually went to ticalc.org and searched around there and found it. I'd still like to see a DOOM port to some sort of hand-held system... Unless there already is one which I don't know about. If there is and anybody knows about one, please tell me.

As you can imagine a DOOM port to an embedded system would be somewhat of a feat. I'm not going to say at all that it's impossible, since the SNES, with its 4 MHz CPU, 20 MHz coprocessor, and 256 KB (!) of work RAM was able to run a version good enough to at least remind you of DOOM. But get this -- a fully stripped and compressed SMMU executable is still more than 600 KB. That's more RAM than a TI-89 has altogether. And that's just talking about code, says nothing about where you're going to store the ~20 MB IWAD. You'd need to use a lot of cheap hacks and clever compression tricks, that's for sure. Plus I doubt DOOM would be very playable unless the 91 has a color LCD.

Guest DemonFrog

Could, say, a color gameboy handle it if a SNES could? :-) Then I might actually use it...

If I could find a C compiler for those calculators... heh.