Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PainoMan

I feel a rant coming on...

Guest PainoMan

I gotta get this stuff out of my system.

Why the hell did teamTNT put all that energy and effort into creating Boom, only to use that utterly lame Allegro code for sound and joystick support? When I calibrate my joystick in the Allegro setup, it works great, but as soon as I start Boom it all goes to hell. Lame, lame, lame.

Now, before I hear a bunch of crap for being a joysticker...I don't give a flying frag if you can beat me in deathmatch using the mouse. You go play your DM and have fun, kthxbye. A Doom source port without joystick code that is AT LEAST as solid as iD's is worthless to me.

Using a joystick for motion and firing is much more realistic and makes it feel more like you're really in the game, holding that pistol, blasting the guts out of Hellspawn, instead of just a character on the screen. And that, for me, is what made Doom the wonderful game it is. I think the keyboard is more suited to 3rd person games.

Now, Dos Legacy tried a little harder but still falls short of the mark. The control is twitchy and just not as solid as iD's. Take a look at that Legacy-guys! I do use the OpenGL Legacy quite a bit and like it very much but its joystick support is also a little funky, but 1.30 is better than 1.29. While not joystick related, I'll also mention that I get a lot of missing textures and HOMs with pwads and glLegacy. Hacx works perfect but a lot of pwads that work perfect in the original and other source ports, have walls where the texture disappears and you get a big HOM.

I'm not gonna include Edge here even though I still can't figure out how to get a joystick to work with both the dos and win32 versions (yes, I've edited the cfg file) because I've emailed them about it. I'm waiting for a reply Edge-guys!

Guest PainoMan

I have tried Boom, MBF, Legacy, glLegacy, Edge, Zdoom (haven't tried the dos port of Zdoom yet) and DOSDoom.

I should mention that I need a dos port because I want it to work with the BEST EVER frontend, UltraLaunch 2.05, which is dos-based. When you have as many pwads and megawads as I do, to have to unzip them all (that's something that I don't understand... why hasn't any source port included zip support? In the emulation community, that's a given nowadays) and basically re-select them each time I want to use them just doesn't cut it.

UltraLaunch gives me great wad database control, separate savegame slots for each wad, descriptive titles, and zip support. It RULZ. Unfortunately, the author seemed to have dropped off the planet years ago. Good thing I registered it while I had the chance!

Anyway, what I do is, I take Edge and change the name of the edge.exe file to doom2.exe and point UltraLaunch at it. You can only sepecify what dir the doom2 (or doom or heretic and hexen) exe is in and not the exe itself.

I would really love to be able to easily play everything with some nice high res and the othe features. Edge right now is my favorite except for the joystick problem.

I would use glLegacy 1.30 without UltraLaunch, but I get a lot of missing textures and giant HOM effects with a lot of the old wads.

My hope is that I can get my joystick working with Edge and that it will be at least as solid as iD's original code.

Guest PainoMan

Well, the Edge-guys have replied (they ROCK), and I'll be waiting patiently for joystick support to be added!