Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phreak144

Whats the best source port for Win98 or Dos?

Guest Phreak144

Im looking for compatability and graphics.

i like zdoom. but if your worried about graphics go with legacy. i wish heit would combine zdoom and zdoomgl. that is when the bigs are ironed out. i wana be able to switch modes during play like quake 2. i wish i could do that in jdoom. i thik thats the best looking

that depends on what you are playing.. if you are playing without an addon map, or are playing a regular doom wad, a wad that requires the boom engines features, or requires any port but not a specific one (the latter case because of the size or complexity of the wad) youll be better off using prboom.

compatibility: it allows you to run the wads like they were intended to through a bunch of optional features.

graphics: it has hi res, and it comes with a gl version of the engine in case you are blessed with a 3d card.

most wads are made for plain doom or boom at most.. that means that the map structure and monster/item placement is most suitable for those engines (doom or boom). the other ports (legacy zdoom edge) offer features that make them especially worthwhile when running maps made for them, they have features that alter the players capabilities (jumping, mlook) plus the ways maps work (scripting, true 3d). these ports have certain limitations when used with "generic" maps, like monsters getting stuck on lifts or with each other being an example.

so id say use prboom in w98 (unless youre playing a map made for zdoom legacy or edge)

in dos there arent as many choices.. you might as well use the original exe there. mbf and smmu optionally offer higher res tho (640 x 400), so you might like to try them (plus they will run bigger wads or boom wads) mbf has most of the compatibility options i mentioned for prboom, smmu many if not all of those plus a few other features.

Not saying what the best is, i just want to say that legacy is my Favorite too. I love the graphics and the hud at the bottom, and even when you take it off. I like it much better than zdoom, however, zdoom has better play, well, with csdoom anyway, for multiplayer. I've tried Legacy w/ multiplayer and i had little fun. It was like, suck a butt speed. Any way, just my opinion.

Gah...I hate when people ask "What's the best XXXX?" because, invariably, there is never a 'best'. There is simply an option which provides the best compromise.

And in my opinion, IF you can get it to work right, that is ZdoomGL. It really only has one issue, and that is: stability.

Barring that, I would use SMMU in DOS, and PRBoom or Legacy in Windows 98.

Just my two bits.

PrBoom is like Rock'n Roll for me :-)
...there's also a new frontend available for that,
a new release is coming soon: Warp to my site.