Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Why aren't there any Wolfenstein source ports

There are plenty of DOOM source ports, but I have yet to see a single Wolfenstein source port. Why is that? I would love to kick Nazi butt in 640*480 resolution or in GL. The source code is out, somebody go do something about this. If only I didn't know diddly about programming, I could just do this myself, but I can't, so PLEASE SOMEBODY MAKE A WOLFENSTEIN SOURCEPORT!!! Oh and, BTW, I would also really like to see Macintosh Wolfenstein ported to the PC because the graphics in it are way cooler than the PC version.

as far as i'm concerned the wolfendoom tc's capture the original wolfenstein quite excellent and the first ones should have the original levels too, and they should run fine in any gl doom port :)

geekmarine said:

I have yet to see a single Wolfenstein source port.

There already is an OpenGL Wolfenstein port. Look around in the Usual Places.

Oh yes, I saw that, but I think it's just some horrible prank, because I tried to run it on my computer and the only thing that happened was that the screen flashed for a second, and then returned to normal, without me getting to kill a single Nazi. Hmm... unless that flash was a nuclear bomb going off and killing every Nazi in the game, in which case I'm completely happy with that opengl port. I mean, forget the horrible graphics, any game that lets you kill Nazis is great.

The Mac-port of Wolfenstein has 640x480 graphics since its release. No OpenGL. You could buy yourself an older Mac, like the PowerMacintosh 6100, which can be get used for around $100 on ebay. Monitor-adapters cost $10 or so. If you like to see a screenshot, just tell me - I will sent the pic per e mail.

Guest nasper

the Mac version better? I don't think so, the graphics can only be viewer from one side, which(correct me if im wrong) isn't the case in the pc version.
But the coolest "mac" port, is wolf3d for apple IIgs!!

Well the first reason is that Wolfenstein 3D was written and compiled as a 16-bit program. Since 16-bit compilers are pretty much extinct now, besides the fact that 16-bit programs are terribly limited, it needed to be first ported to a 32-bit platform. Depending on the number of Cheap Real-Mode Hacks (tm) that Carmack liked to use in his pre-dos-extender days, that could add up to quite a feat.

Besides that, I understand that the original id distro wouldn't even compile out of the box. Unlike what was done with the DOOM source before its release, the Wolf source was barely cleaned up at all and had significantly decayed after years of storage and archival.

Those reasons are why there haven't been many Wolf3D ports.

Quasar

nasper said:

the Mac version better? I don't think so, the graphics can only be viewer from one side, which(correct me if im wrong) isn't the case in the pc version.
But the coolest "mac" port, is wolf3d for apple IIgs!!

I have the "Id-Anthology" which includes all stuff from Id from 1990-1996 and can also run Wolf 3d and Spear of Destiny for Dos under PC-emulation and the views (perspective) seems to be the same for me. The Mac version used the graphics which were made for the Jaguar console version and are 4 times sharper than the graphics in the PC-version (read in an article on Inside Mac Games). Really, the difference is truely and definitely EXTREME.

"Castle Wolfenstein" for the AppleII was a great game, I stll have an Apple II :-)

Guest nasper

Well, im hope i did make my self clear, but I actually talking about WOLF3d for MAC IIGS(check it out, it's really nice

Sorry, but there is maybe some misunderstanding:

1. There was never a "Mac IIGS", the machine you are talking about was the "Apple IIgs". I have also an Apple 2c and one of the rare Apple III (which flopped horrible)

2. The gameĀ“s title was "Castle Wolfenstein" not "Wolf 3d". Castle Wolfenstein was a hit around 1984. "Wolfenstein 3d", released in 1992 (? - or so) can be seen as the sequel to "Castle Wolfenstein". There is also a Mac-version of "Wolfenstein 3d".

The new sequel to "Wolfenstein 3d" will be released with the titel "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

update: saw in your previous post that you also wrote "Apple IIgs"

But I do not know any "Wolf 3d" for Apple II, only "Castle Wolfenstein" for Apple II and "Wolfenstein 3d" for Mac and PC.

Guest nasper

1. First, sorry by MAC IIGS, ofcourse I mean apple IIgs :)
2. I know very well the difference between "Castle Wolfenstein", and "Wolfenstein 3d"
3. IM NOT talking about "Castle Wolfenstein"!! Im talking about a port of WOLFENSTEIN 3d for the Apple IIgs!!!!

Ok...since you you don't belive me, and maybe you are a happy owner of a Apple IIgs...see http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~janma/wolf /

Guest Doom4Ever
Peter Heinemann said:

I have the "Id-Anthology" which includes all stuff from Id from 1990-1996 and can also run Wolf 3d and Spear of Destiny for Dos under PC-emulation and the views (perspective) seems to be the same for me. The Mac version used the graphics which were made for the Jaguar console version and are 4 times sharper than the graphics in the PC-version (read in an article on Inside Mac Games). Really, the difference is truely and definitely EXTREME.

"Castle Wolfenstein" for the AppleII was a great game, I stll have an Apple II :-)

i know this is off the subject but where did you get the "id anthology" peter heinemann? i have been looking for something like that.

nasper said:

1. First, sorry by MAC IIGS, ofcourse I mean apple IIgs :)
2. I know very well the difference between "Castle Wolfenstein", and "Wolfenstein 3d"
3. IM NOT talking about "Castle Wolfenstein"!! Im talking about a port of WOLFENSTEIN 3d for the Apple IIgs!!!!

Ok...since you you don't belive me, and maybe you are a happy owner of a Apple IIgs...see http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~janma/wolf /

Aaah, shame on me, you are right.
I did not know this piece. I must confess that I searched the web yesterday by using the keywords "Wolf 3d" and "Apple IIgs" but did not find any. I will try it out - thank so much for that link.

Guest NaytS1

actually, the wolfenstein source code was easy to compile, as long as you have the same compiler id used. although not ported to windows, the following game has quite a few modifications, including the rocket launcher from doom:

http://wolf3d.gamehosts.com/bw2/